Thread: Dealing with artifacts in Wilbur

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Without knowing what data you used, I can't offer you any suggestions about the apparent height clipping. If it's in the imported data, then there's nothing that Wilbur can do about it.

The streaks are in the original Magellan data; you'd need to paint that out by hand. Painting in Wilbur is a bit of a pain, especially for the kinds of curve that you'd need to paint along. On the other hand, Wilbur does allow raising and lower of the data, which is probably the sort of thing that you want for that kind of work.

Wilbur does have a (very) limited tool for healing imported SRTM data, but I think that the nature of the gaps will probably prevent it from working well in a lot of cases. The SRTM holes tend to be fairly small and without straight edges; the Magellan data has holes with straight edges that are fairly large.

I used the GTDR data set, which was originally complied by MIT, and yes the streaks are in the original data. Essentially, it was a large grayscale JPG file. I changed it to a PNG per your suggestion to get Wilbur to load it. I found it in cylindrical projection on an astrogeology website, so that I can now churn it through G.Projector. Score! (The raw files available from NASA are all Mercator, sinusoidal, or polar projections. Grrr.)

I could certainly send it to you if you like, but I guess you've answered my question already. Answer = yes, it will involve meticulous manipulaiton by hand. Sigh. I guess I have a project for the next six months...

Thanks for the sea level pearl. I'm kind of wading through your neat little program at a very slow rate. I know so little about mapping that I end up going to the (dated) pdf manual or wikipedia a lot. I guess I'll start by playing with the sea level , and then see just how much of those streaks I have to deal with- many may be under water.

Thanks, again!
    Last edited by acrosome; 04-28-2014 at 11:53 AM.