Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: unnamed Earh-like planet

Groovey, thank you so much for that long explanation! Very interesting stuff!

As explained in my own thread, I don't have the opportunity to contribute much this week. Next week I'll try to write a longer reply to your question. Right now I can say that, apart from the Polynesian/Aboriginal "feeling", I haven't thought much about the conlang I'd like to construct. I have a few ideas, but they are still very vague, and I'm not really sure they are feasable.

Also, I haven't had time to order my thoughts about the historical stuff I wanted to ask you. I hope I'll have time for it next week. Otherwise it'll be for the second half of August. We'll see when it's possible.

Cheers - Akubra

Default Height-map

Hello everyone, I got my first full go at the height-map ready and I'd appreciate some feedback because I keep staring at it not being very sure of what more does it need (again, credit to Pixie for the color palette).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. Height (23-07-14).jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	65922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. Height (23-07-14) with boundaries.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	65923

I tried to add few random little small 1000-2500m fragments, but I don't know, I think I'd need a few more, but when I drop some in land, and not close to the coast, they just look sad and ugly and out of place, so I don't know what to do about it.

So in what state would you say the map is, does it need fixes or is it good to go?

One thing that worries me is the implications of the height-map when it comes to deserts. I don't care where deserts will happen in most of the world, but I'd need at least the north bit of Swëfendlëa and a part or Arlia NOT to be desertic, so as it is right now, are you able to suspect if I'd get deserts there? From what I gathered, deserts depend mostly on latitude and rain shadow on mountain ranges, so I'm a bit afraid about how the mountain ranges in those two areas will affect the climate.

Thank you for reading.

@Akubra, don't worry, take all the time you need, I'm not going anywhere, I got no job and no vacation for me this summer, so I'll be here when you're back.

No need to give me credit for the color palette, I just took it from this map:

Name:	srtm30plus_hilldhading_B_overview_res10km.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	65924

Which I am also posting so you can take a look and compare by yourself.

In the middle of continents, any mountains/highlands would have been eroded for a long time - thus, they may not be a continuous shape, but small bits in an area. Maybe that will work better in places.

There is one area where I think some mountains are needed for scientific plausibility. Just like with akubra's map, you have a continent rifting. When that happens, mountains tend do form on both sides of the rift. So, the area where Arin Ascanta is breaking away should have some elevated terrain.

Overall, however, i think it is going fine. More highlands aren't necessarily needed apart from the northeastern side of the map. Most of your continents look like solid old cratons.
    Last edited by Pixie; 07-23-2014 at 07:22 AM.

Thanks for the feedback Pixie.

Name:	03. Height (25-07-14).jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	65976Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. Height (25-07-14) with boundaries.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	65977

Well, about the rift btw Acantä and Arin Ascantä, since most of the boundary is transformation, I wasn't sure if I had to add elevation just in the divergent bits or also in the transformation bits, for now I just put elevation in the divergent bits, and also added a lake in one of those bits, inside an elevation bit.

Let me know if I have to add elevation to the transformation bits of the boundaries

I also added a few light green bits of elevation but I don't want to overdo it, so I'll probably leave it as it is.

I don't understand exactly what you mean about the continents looking "solid old cratons".

Just out of curiosity I also tried the clouds rendering filter on the 0-1000m level so it's not so plain, but I guess it defeats the purpose of the color code system.

Name:	03. Height with clouds render (25-07-14).jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	65978
    Last edited by groovey; 07-25-2014 at 06:09 AM.

Hey groovey. Looks nice as it is. If you keep each elevation level in a separate layer you can later color in shades of gray and use Wilbur for local erosion (river making). But for now, I wouldn't go into that.

The clouds trick gives it a a little more plausibilty when zoomed out, but you are right, it defeats the purpose of a proper elevation map. What you can do is use the filter as source for a selection in order to add a bit more random regions with elevation above 1000m.

Thanks Pixie.

Very interesting about the Wilbur stuff. I tried some tutorials in the past and I never quite made it, but now that I got a more solid height-map, I might try it, though I'm not sure I'm familiar with your technique. Does it also generate the lakes too? I do keep each elevation range in a different layer.

Good idea, using the clouds version to add more randoms bits of light green. Will try it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    Thanks Pixie.

Very interesting about the Wilbur stuff. I tried some tutorials in the past and I never quite made it, but now that I got a more solid height-map, I might try it, though I'm not sure I'm familiar with your technique. Does it also generate the lakes too? I do keep each elevation range in a different layer.

Good idea, using the clouds version to add more randoms bits of light green. Will try it soon.
    Yes. Can generate lakes , calculate erosion by precipitation and flow , it can be tricky to make it look right but its the best available around for what I know.

Awesome, but then how do you bring back the Wilbur info about rivers and lakes to an editor like Photoshop? Have you tried it? EDIT: I read your own WIP thread so I know that you are in the way working on a process from FT and all the way Photoshop, so nevermind! I'll wait and see what you do with your WIP.
    Last edited by groovey; 07-28-2014 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    though I'm not sure I'm familiar with your technique. Does it also generate the lakes too? I do keep each elevation range in a different layer.
    oh, I do it all by hand... because I am a freak

You're awesome, that's what you are.

How I wish I had your hand and the skills attached to it.

Well, again, you two have made me very intrigued about Wilbur, so at some point I'll try to find the tutorial I saw once that touched that subject, but for now, once I polish the height map, I'll go for winds, as I seem to recall that was the best next step? Because it doesn't matter if I do the rivers and lakes later on does it? Once I figure out other stuff?

By the way Pixie, can't wait to see you working on your WIP again, as soon as you are less busy.
    Last edited by groovey; 07-28-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast