Thread: Crater lake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Really nice work. Would you be willing to share some techniques with us on how you've achieved this? The map I'm currently working on is still at the stage where I can change the general style completely, and I've been toying around with different map styles. I would love to toy around with this.

If not, no worries! Do keep us updated on future developments though =D

Quote Originally Posted by RazielKilsenhoek View Post
    Really nice work. Would you be willing to share some techniques with us on how you've achieved this? The map I'm currently working on is still at the stage where I can change the general style completely, and I've been toying around with different map styles. I would love to toy around with this.

If not, no worries! Do keep us updated on future developments though =D
    Sure I can share the methods used. Here are the steps in short:

1. Use Geocontrol tool to create the grayscale heightmap and save is as .BMP. Open the .BMP in Photoshop for the next steps.
    2. Select the textures and colors to use to obtain the general feeling you are looking for (weather it’s going to be arid and rocky or fertile etc.)
    3. Create separate layers for the terrain, water, forest etc. and set the layer types to multiply.
    4. Paint the ground and mountains etc. with the colors and textures selected. Use low opacity to get smooth color and texture transition.

There are few tutorials I have written covering many of the steps in more detail.
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...ick-guide.html
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/tu...toshop-10.html

Guild Member

That is extremely useful, thank you! This is gonna be so much fun.