Thread: Running Wilbur on the Macintosh

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Running Wilbur on the Macintosh

For those of you who, like me, prefer to do their work in mac os, I've found a new option.

Wilbur is a very nice heightfield editing program for Windows. Being free adds a whole additional level of goodness. At least for the user...

I ran the program through Wineskin, which as you might surmise is a particular implementation of Wine on the mac. The downloaded Wineskin Winery allows you to create double-clickable "skins" for windows applications.

Wilbur was probably the hardest problem for me to get running. The installer worked fine once I set up the Wineskin Screen Options to Use Mac Driver. X11 doesn't seem to start right for me.

Once Wilbur is installed, though, it doesn't run. vcomp100.dll not found.

I've tried using winecfg in the Tools tab to start using Windows 8, and the program runs fine, but I can't save files. I've also tried installing the Visual C++ Redistributable Components, but the installed vcomp100 doesn't work.

Instead, download a copy of the vcomp100.dll here(use the zip file). Open the Wineskin package containing Wilbur and copy the dll to drive_c/windows/system32. You now have an Uncle Bob!

Everything seems to work well except for the 3D Preview Window. Apparently, opengl isn't supported... The failure is graceful, though, the program doesn't crash or anything!

So far, the speed is decent, comparable to Bootcamp or faster. On my six year old, not top-of-the-line when I got it MacBook, Wilbur on Wine can run an 8k x 4k heightfield slowly, but without crashing. On Bootcamp, with Windows XP, Wilbur promptly crashed with an hf of that size. I have no idea how fast or slow it might have been. For an hf of 2k x 1k, speed is reasonable and still reliable.

For further information, I posted a much longer-winded instruction set on my terrible blog here.
    Last edited by ChickPea; 12-12-2015 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Edited to correct outdated Wilbur link