Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planetary Colony Tiles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Elevator Tiles.

OK, not so exciting of tiles as far as the set goes, but Stahd requested elevator top floor and one from a lower floor, so that's what these two tiles are. The top floor simulates the Star Port and public level.

I'll start working on small lab and hydroponics center next, then the medical facility. Need to think of more exciting Sci-Fi scenes for tiles - from the great movies...

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony12.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	933.5 KB 
ID:	6252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony13.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	864.4 KB 
ID:	6254  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

How about some kind of machine/repair shop, or an observation dome?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post Dome - gives me an idea!

I'd think the Starship Repair shop, has small connected shops for machine repair, but your observation dome gives me some ideas... Steel General!

1. Observation dome to look at surrounding areas of colony structure - your idea.

2. Telescope or similar technology to view surrounding star systems.

3. Planetary Gun pointed at the sky - located in its own inside chamber where the roof opens up for orbital assault.

Keep giving me more ideas - this really helps!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

How 'bout an Illudium PU-37 Space Modulator?
    http://www.angelfire.com/pa/lkmarvin/Sounds/MARVIN1.WAV
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Link didn't work for me.

Sorry, Ascension, the link didn't work for me, but then that was a WAV file, and I don't have speakers on my PC...

Anyway, I got some better ideas now. Since this is supposed to be a generic space colony tile set, I don't want to cater to one kind of possible alien world. Note the family module sits in a desert or moonlike terrains. What if this was a colony on an ice world, a water planet, an airless moon - I really have no idea of the intended use by a given GM for this tiles.

So, I thought I'd create some of the next 4 - 6 tiles as "Points of Egress" to various types of worlds... on a water planet a contained submarine portage for a submarine colony, on an iceworld snowcats or contained snowmobiles near a snowy entrance, and a train or subway station for something like Toff's venus railway map!

Enough talk, hopefully I can get a tile or two finished before the nights over.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Wip Point of Egress 1: Submarine Portage

Experiment, a point of egress: the Submarine Portage. This could be used as the portage for a water world planetary colony. You guys know how much I love using water in my maps, and here's a texture I've wanted to use, but had no place for - now I got a place for it!

I figure that most of this submarine is below the waves, so its much larger than it appears in the map.

The upper deck of the pier has a Port Authority office and passenger and crew access, the lower pier is for cargo handling.

The first map is full dimensions at 16" x 20" or 80' x 100' at 100 ppi JPG, the remaining four are exact quarters of this map in 8" x 10" scale so they can be easily printed, then cut to edges and used to piece together a full 16" x 20" map. Quarters are 200 ppi JPGs.

That's it for tonight - I will continue on with this project and see where it goes.

So what other Points of Egress should I create - access/port for an ice planet, airless planet, train/subway station, ...what else?

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	6262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14a.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	6263   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14b.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	374.7 KB 
ID:	6264   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14c.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	298.1 KB 
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	colony14d.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	6266  

DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

GP I know you're working on all the 'egresses', but once you get those done I don't think you have any kind of armory/weapons locker.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post I'm not done with the basics...

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    GP I know you're working on all the 'egresses', but once you get those done I don't think you have any kind of armory/weapons locker.
    Oh, I'm definitely not done with the basic planetary colony tiles - I sort of needed a break to spark my creativity, so egresses are a pleasant distraction until I get back into the meat of the basic tiles. I just wanted to play with something else and still be a useful part of the set.

Don't worry a weapons locker is a definite tile I've got to make.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

One idea would be to make the external terrain a transparency. That way the GM could paste it over top of any back drop he/she wanted, making the tile universal.

Post True, but...

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    One idea would be to make the external terrain a transparency. That way the GM could paste it over top of any back drop he/she wanted, making the tile universal.
    This is true, and for VT, I should make a transparent PNG version for any exterior colony maps, (good idea!) however, the original request was for use as printed tiles for an actual tabletop game.

I'll post more map tiles tomorrow.

GP

PS: I'm all for creating VT versions of all my maps, however, I am "Gamer Printer" - I specialize in printing RPG maps for everybody. A printed map is always my first goal!
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 09-01-2008 at 01:32 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast