Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: September/October 2014 Lite Challenge: Forever Sunset

Default September/October 2014 Lite Challenge: Forever Sunset

It's been a few months since I joined a challenge due to a crazy summer, but this challenge inspired me. I have seen certain rivers that are pink due to their high percentage of salt and the algae that lives in their waters. Lake Hillier, Lake Retba, and Hutt Lagoon are three of these pinkish waters. I have wanted to map out one of these awesome lakes and this challenge is just the excuse I needed to do it.

This is a map of the mystical land of Forever Sunset, a place in which Fae live, trees murmur, crystals form on the cliffs, ruins stand without a story, and whispers are spread about the things cloaked under the rosy waters.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forever_Sunset1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	67576

Just googled Lake Hillier - what an amazing geographical feature! Love the style of your map, and what a neat touch you have for the border.

One question - would the rivers feeding into the lake be pink as well? Assuming they're running fast and down the slope, as you've got it here. You've got me curious about these pink lakes!

Thanks SJS! You are right about the rivers as far as I know, I was already planing on changing the color on the river.

The ruins of Rideon or better known as the ruins without a story. They were discovered some hundred years after the two major civilizations were built, even still story tellers and folk lore were unable to create a suitable fable or myth regarding the mysteries of the remnants.

The Delory pool, most commonly referred to as the pool of forgotten dreams. According to the legends a if someone gazed into its clear water and whispered your deepest, darkest, secret the water would in return show them their innermost desire.

The roots of Nemain, locally named the twisted roots. Stories speak of three Fae sisters that lived within the depths of the forest. The oldest sister was fair and beautiful with a gift of song and story telling lived a life full of wondrous charm. The second sister was simple in appearance baring eyes that were neither brown or green and hair the color of raven feathers. It was her kind and gentle nature as well as her talent as a healer that fulfilled her life. The third sister was one of a wild nature, her hair not dark or light, her eyes neither green or blue. She was daring and unpredictable, and there were but few that could best her in a fight. Her courage, skill, and no small amount of hard work lead her to become one of the most feared and respected warriors in the land. The sisters stood apart in both appearance and lifestyle but their sisterly bond surpassed all their differences. So much so that when the sisters died they were buried beside each other and the trees planted alongside their graves intertwined their roots to forever illustrate their timeless kinship.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Forever_Sunset2.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	468.8 KB 
ID:	67601

Those colours work quite well!
    I assume the forest edges and the border are not finished...?

Are you sure you want to change river's colours? I too think that colours work quite well and at least from what I see you're aiming much more towards an artistic fairytale style than towards strict realism, so maybe you could keep a degree of freedom with colours as long as they fit well toghether.
    Anyway, I really like what you've done so far!

Have to say that I agree with corilliant and fabio about those rivers. If I was going to make any change in color to them, I would probably pull back on the pink a little bit and let the blue/greenish color drift down a little closer to the lake. In any event, good work. It's a bit different, and that can, at times, work to your advantage.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Just to be clear, my question was about the phenomenon in the real world more than a suggestion for the map itself. It might be interesting to do the rivers in a bluish color and gradually merge it to a pink for the lake - if that could be pulled off artistically - but I agree with the others that as a fantasy map it is really interesting as it is.

Interesting, very interesting!

@Corilliant, Thank you so much! I am very fond of how the colors look as well. The forests and the border are not finished but if you could tell me what problems you see with them or what you think could make them better I am open to your view on them. You might see or think of something I have not.

@fabio p, I am aiming for a more artistic look, but I still want to stay true to my concept. But if it takes away from the map instead of adding to it, I am planing on keeping my artistic freedom with it. Thank you so much for your insight!

@Greason Wolfe, I really do like your idea about the green/blue color and if I don't good feedback about the approach I took with this update then I will try doing that. I like to think outside of the box and I hope it does work out in my favor! Thanks for your great input!

@SJS, I did some more research (by that I just mean that I looked at a lot of cool pictures of pink lakes) and I did find this picture: http://www.utaot.com/wp-content/uplo...ps3d49aa98.jpg but unlike most pink lakes it does not contain salt or algae and the reason for it being pink is unclear. But I did get some artistic ideas form this picture nonetheless.

@Bogie, Thanks!

I found this picture: http://idlelive.com/wp-content/uploa...conditions.jpg

It inspired me so I went with it. I added this purple around the edges of the lake and into the rivers, as well as touching up a few things and adding the landmarks Deradon and Thalea. I will try and add in their backstories in the next update.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Forever_Sunset3.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	491.0 KB 
ID:	67714
    Last edited by Domino44; 09-25-2014 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino44 View Post
    @SJS, I did some more research (by that I just mean that I looked at a lot of cool pictures of pink lakes) and I did find this picture: http://www.utaot.com/wp-content/uplo...ps3d49aa98.jpg but unlike most pink lakes it does not contain salt or algae and the reason for it being pink is unclear. But I did get some artistic ideas form this picture nonetheless.
    Love that picture, thanks! It's so interesting that the reason for the color is often mysterious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast