Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: September Entry: Khuutath

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    The "swamps" are supposed to be desert depressions (I think they're called wadi's?)
    Wadi's are just dry river beds. In the rainy season they flash flood and become rivers again for a while. The swamps are probably better the dust basin / sinkhole type formations. Loose sand collecting in bedrock depressions but not compacting. Very dangerous.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    Wadi's are just dry river beds. In the rainy season they flash flood and become rivers again for a while. The swamps are probably better the dust basin / sinkhole type formations. Loose sand collecting in bedrock depressions but not compacting. Very dangerous.
    Thanks for the clarification, I didn't have time to look it up so I was just guessing on the whole wadi thing.

Sink holes/"quick"sand or whatever you want to call them works for me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Forests could mean anything I suppose you could have a petrified forest.... might be appropriate in a desert environment... just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    Forests could mean anything I suppose you could have a petrified forest.... might be appropriate in a desert environment... just a thought
    I had that same thought... I'm gonna play around with some other textures and see if i can find anything I like better. This is still got a ways to go before its finished.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

As hard as I try to see it correctly, my brain keeps inverting this map. I wonder if there's something you can do to the coastlines to force the water to be perceived as water.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

What water, Midgard? It's sand, all sand.
    Google Groups for FGII Games:
    European FG2 RPG - Fridays & Sundays (8pm UK time)
    Using Ultimate FGII and can accept unlicensed player connections on some of the games

I am really excited to see the next WiP Steel
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Wip Latest update...

OK, finally had sometime to get back to this. I tweaked some of the textures, though I'm still not entirely happy with the "forest" texture, I haven't been able to find anything I liked better. Added the compass rose, the scale bar, cities, city names, map title, etc.

OK, just in case I don't get back to this I wanted to include this little bit of history that goes along with the map. It's no literary masterpiece, but I think it came out OK.

09/16/08: Allrighty then... after several hours of fruitless searching for a replacement texture for the forests with no success. I'm going to call this done.

**Disclaimer/Credits/Etc.**
    Map done in Photoshop using textures downloaded from Spiral Graphics and slightly tweaked using the Genetica viewer.
    The compass rose is from the Fantasy Clip Art font, all other text done using the Flat Earth Scribe font. The capital city icon and the scale bar are objects downloaded from the Dundjinni forums with textures applied to them. Remaining city icons just circles with textures and effects applied to them.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khuutath-WIP2.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	6418   Khuutath.pdf  
    Last edited by Steel General; 09-16-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Added History .pdf

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I know that you were intending for your forests to be more like scrublands rather than full-on forests since this is more of a desert, but I couldn't pick 'em out, so yeah maybe a lil more tweaking, maybe a very slight greenish-brown color, I dunno. The text effects are perfect by the way and fit the font and feel very nicely.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I love the map SG. My favourite parts are the bits that used to be swampland. Your textures for those areas are excellent. The map has such a desolate feel to it, the impression is created that something really bad happened here. Excellent character and mood.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast