Thread: WIP: Continent of Merizian

Wip [WIP] Continent of Merizian

Hi, I'm new to the guild and this is my first posting on the site. I thought I'd throw up a sample from a world map I am working on. This is just 1 of 3 continents for the world. However I thought I'd get some feed back on this one before I move on and start working on the other two. I appreciate any constructive feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merizian-Sample-Sample.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	4.46 MB 
ID:	69741

Footnote: This is a continent from my custom world of V'rath that I have been building and designing for my D&D game I run.
    Last edited by pozest666; 12-19-2014 at 01:31 PM.

I think this is a very successful map, I like the way you used the brushes, and I think it will work great for your D&D game. I do see room for improvement, some of your mountain ranges are a little to formal. The text curves look a bit odd, when you use the preset text curves they seem to warp the letters. Nice Job, and Welcome to the Guild!

Guild Artisan

Quite some work invested in there so here some comments.
    Some lakes have no outlet to the sea.
    The sea road routes and labels are too crowded on the SE part so that it hurts readability.
    Also, like Domino, the mountain ranges look to regular to me.
    Normally one tries to avoid crossing of labels.

Thank you Domino44! I have put a lot of hours into this and was hesitant to post it for fear of what feedback I may receive. But I am here to learn!

Deadshade, I don't disagree. As for the sail/trade routes to the East it is cluttered and I agree I should clean it up and narrow the routes to the 'major routes' like I did with the roads to avoid clutter. As for the mountain ranges I also agree they appear very formed and unnatural, but that is one of the quirks to a map for a D&D game, Magic exists and can/does influence the landscape. The "wall of thorns" was formed to be just that, a wall.

Regarding the Crossing of Labels that is something I most certainly need to address and play with, even with the low opacity of the white regional names it is too much for the geographical labels to cross so I will have to play with that and find a balance.

I appreciate all the feedback and welcome more!

Thank you guys.
    Last edited by pozest666; 12-19-2014 at 11:54 AM.