Thread: Campagin Cartographer 3 Dimensions help.

Question Campagin Cartographer 3 Dimensions help.

Hi,

I'm having trouble recreating a map previously used in one of my games. Having lost the original file, I now only have previously saved pictures to go off. The main thing I'm having trouble doing is getting the dimensions right (the width and the height of the map).

At the moment, all my attempts end up making the map to small to even hold the mainland. Can somebody help me with this? Do you know what dimensions are required? Opening the map in "paint" says the height is 3000, and width is 2400 (pixels). Inputting this into CC3 doesn't yield the same results (in fact, doing so then opening in paint gives me 800 x 510).

I am using Campaign Cartographer 3 with an overland map. Thank you for reading and your help!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rise of Civilisations Final.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	70802

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

CC3 doesn't use pixels. It uses map units. I'm at work so I am just eyeballing it based on the scale bar and I figure your dimensions should be approximately 3,200 x 2,600 miles

Thanks for the response.

I tried using your dimensions, but they don't quite add up. I've been trying a few different combinations but I am, clearly, terrible at this kind of stuff.

I've uploaded the map using your dimensions, so you can see the comparison. I have tried doubling and expanding them, but again I might not be using the correct combination due to my lack of experience in this field.

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Civ test 3200 - 2600.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	70901  

If anyone can help me out it would really make my day. I'm starting to have pressure put on me to get it recreated.

Something is not right with your numbers, they are not the same size ratio.

1,25 and 1,57

The active area of the image is about 2832x2268 pixels (1.25 ratio). The scale bar is about 178 pixels wide. Therefore, applying arithmetic, we get 2832/178*200=3182 miles wide by 3182/1.25=2545 miles high. A good approximation is 3200 miles wide by 2560 miles high (or pretty close to what JoeyD473 suggested). The odds are good that you won't get a pixel-exact reproduction due to the way that the fractalization algorithms work, so those values are a good starting point. You should also be able to place the existing image in the background of a new map and quickly trace over the old image to get your new one.

I think the problem here isn't in setting up the image, but in the export. It's been a long time since I dealt with CC3, but there's somewhere that you can set the export resolution—that's where your settings need to change to get what you want.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Thanks everyone for the help.

I've decided to make the new map smaller to accommodate the size difference. The old image was to big to trace over the map, and all my experiments at making it bigger didn't go to plan.