Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast

Thread: More cities (City Designer 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Well, here we go. The city is finished. I might redo the labeling in the future, but this is it for now. This was a pretty stressful map to finish and I had to push myself in the end. I think it turned out quite all right. I tried out some new things in the map, like an arena and cemetery.

Glad to have this one out of my system

City description
    Tweeberg (translated literally: Twomountain) is the gate to Sirilion, the largest city in my world. Most parts of Tweeberg are favorably located on cliffs, while the middle lies in a valley, forming the best access to Sirilion and other cities to the south. Tweeberg has always been very important for the safety of Sirilion and it is heavily fortified with multiple walls, keeps and a castle. Walls head out of the city to the east and west, to block the enemy's passage to the south. The area directly to the north of the city is a desolate no man's land. The rulers didn't want any farmland or buildings there, as they could aid in a potential siege.

All the goods flowing into or from the south pass through Tweeberg and the city has a lot of warehouses and inns. It also has a lot of workshops, as the cliffs and mountains yield plenty of ore. The main road runs through the valley, but there are also passageways leading into the cliffs and to the higher grounds. A large wall called the "Sky bridge" acts as a connection between the east and the west of the city.

Tweeberg's fighting school produced some of the finest swordsmen in the world, but the city was mostly infamous because of it's arena. During the rule of the wizards there were bloodsports going on and a lot of poor people and slaves were killed. It was sometimes joked that the arena was there to make sure Tweeberg's population wouldn't grow larger than Sirilion's.

The map represents the city as it was a few years ago. Large parts of the city were destroyed during a two year siege by the Alliance.
    SODEJUTEMIS! Hoe krijg je dat in hemelsnaam voor elkaar? Ik kan zo'n grote kaart nog niet eens tekenen!
    I can't even draw a map this big!

I posted up the finished map in the Finished Maps section:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?p=60522
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Next city I want to map is Groenwoud.
    This is a pretty large city to the east (world map can be seen here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2977).

Groenwoud was founded near the greatest forest in the world and it has seen extensive logging for hundreds of years. It's located near a river that flows to the west, into the Valley. What once started as a humble town has grown pretty huge.

I am trying to get a picture of the city in my head and some of the buildings that it needs. Maybe you guys/girls can help me

Areas of interest:

- Housing
    - Staging areas (for transport)
    - Saw mills (near the river)
    - Places where logs can be put together into huge rafts.
    - Docks
    - Market
    - Maybe some walls, not sure yet. They probably should be made of logs.

What else?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

How 'bout...

- Temple(s)
    - Wizard's Tower (perhaps abandoned?)
    - Caravansary
    - Town Hall/Mayor's office

Just a few quick ideas. I think a stockade wall would be kind of neat.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Looking at the world map it seems that it was an outpost first. A valuable one because of the wood. So I would add a few military buildings.
    The river seems to be the most important trading route and ships must be very rare and expensive. Perhaps you could add a shipyard.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will definitely add some military buildings, a town hall, a wizard's retreat and maybe a caravansary.

Temples and a shipyard are a no however. Worshipping a god or higher being was a quick way to get killed in this world, so there are no temples out in the open, and all shipyards are located in the Valley.

More suggestions are welcome

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

As for additional building I don't have any. As for city walls, if the city is attacked a lot, r was once attacked there might be a city wall, if not they might not have built one. Also, they might not have walled the whole city, but just a small secction of it, probably the section worth the most

Wow, that's beautiful. I'd love to walk around a city like that.

Well, I made a start with Groenwoud. This is where I am at for now...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groenwoud1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	12922  

Update #2.
    Decided to make some changes (mainly hiding the dirt roads) and also added stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Groenwoud2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	12926  

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930 LastLast