Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP : Haerlech

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    One day you'll look back and be happy you put in the effort. 'Course, that might be five years down the line, but hey, it'll be worth it!
    It might just be at that.
    I hope so. You are most likely right.
    Just feels ridiculous, crazy and masochistic atm. This too will pass.

The new fields are really spot on and the houses are coming on just great as well. I love all the small details in this, like the very small paths leading to the fields and riversides. They are almost invisible until you look really close. It makes me think this is something real and there are actually people living there.

This is one of the most beautiful and detailed maps I've seen, hang in there, this looks fabulous and is an envy of all here. You drive us to do better!

Dude. That's not a map, it's a freaking work of art. Please tell me that's not all hand-drawn/painted because ouch. It's glorious! I hope you do get it finished, though I can understand why you might be getting frustrated/bored with the detail work!

So I have to hand it to Abu - sometimes you need a little push to do what must be done.
    Thanks Abu and Ilanthar for suggesting the roof detail. It needed to be done.
    It would have looked incongruous to have all the other detail and the plain roofs.

Thanks Pasis. I love doing those little paths. They're one of my favorite parts, often left out of maps.
    Hopefully when this is all done it will engage people and make them want to explore.

Thank you snodsy. It can be tough sticking with something this big and time consuming.
    It makes me glad that people are enjoying it and getting something out of it.

soggymuse - ouch indeed. Yes, it is all hand drawn. And yes, ouch is correct.
    My hands usually hurt after working on this. I hold the pen too tight most times and I do a lot of short tight hand motions when I draw so it tends to create a lot of hand tension and soreness.
    But I know no other way. I was never a 'loose' drawer [as in one who draws... not a drawer of a dresser... haha]. Tight drawing is great for technical illustration and architecture.
    It just isn't kind to your hands over time.

So I finally finished the roof detail. Yesterday was a 14 hour marathon of tiny little lines. Thousands of tiny little lines. UGH. But I would rather get tedious stuff over with as fast as possible.
    I'm back to doing fields and ground cover. Once all that is done I will see if anything else needs touched up. Then it will be on to labeling and other fun details.
    I'm hoping to incorporate the region map in here somehow. Layout will have to wait till the rest is done.
    Here's a larger update
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haerlech 03f 003 by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	4.62 MB 
ID:	77317

edit - thought I should add, the region map was back on page 14. http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...=29936&page=14
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-09-2015 at 04:18 PM.

Guild Novice

Incredible. Just wondering, is the harbor in the northwest made of concrete?

Quote Originally Posted by boldloop View Post
    Incredible. Just wondering, is the harbor in the northwest made of concrete?
    Thanks boldloop.
    No, it would be stone. Are you going to say that it should have hand drawn stone to show this?

This project, to my mind, epitomizes what an entry in the Annual Cartographers Challenge should strive for. A pity this isn't in the running.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks boldloop.
    No, it would be stone. Are you going to say that it should have hand drawn stone to show this?
    OMG, stop it pleeease! XD

Edit: I totally agree with arsheesh on the annual challenge matter. Good thing is, it is and stays a masterpiece of town-mapping.
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 11-09-2015 at 04:49 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks boldloop.
    Yep sorry. Although what do i know with my 2 posts? Do what you think is right.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast