Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: March / April Lite Challenge: Map a Small Village, including Demographics

Post March / April Lite Challenge: Map a Small Village, including Demographics

Map a Small Village, including Demographics

A Mapping Challenge originally proposed by Arsheesh:

"I propose the challenge of mapping a small village (i.e. between 15-500 residents) complete with some sort of sidebar that lists some interesting flavor text about the town, its history, it's culture and/or some statistics about the town (e.g. Racial Demographics, Community Authorities, Notable Residents, Wealth, Major Imports & Exports, etc).

I think this would be both a fun challenge, and one that might be useful to those GMs among us who could always use a pre-fab town to insert into a campaign here or there."
    ================================================== =========================================
    So, this is your challenge: Map a small village, and use some sort of sidebar or legend to include information about the town.

At the very least the important building locations should be identified ( Tavern, Mage's hut, blacksmithshop etc ) Even more useful if there were some demographics, some background or historical info about the town, maybe even identify some of the important citizens.

The challenge will run to the 14th of April, then we'll have three (3) days of voting, after which the winner will receive a shiny Silver Compass.

Please remember to title your threads like this: Mar/Apr 2015 Lite Challenge: < your title here >

Also don't forget to precede any work-in-progress image with this tag:

### Latest WIP ###

If you don't put that in, the thumbnail scraper won't pick up your image, and no one will see it when it's time to vote.

I'm in. I think I'll start off in Inkscape for this one and see where it goes. I've never created a village (or town) before, so it'll either be great fun or a horrific nightmare!

I'll need to get my world-building hat on, though I at least have some ideas about that.

I'm up for this, it'll be a break from my city design, and you might even recognize a few of the elements!!!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, Peter!

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected Tulio Botinha's Avatar

hey i'm working on a map for this, can it be done all by hand? I'm not great at coloring, actually i'm a piece of s****t (if it's not all graphite haha) at it but i can do some painting if done by watercolor...

edit: i wont do this by hand because i just dropped ink all over my map, if i do it it will be on computer
    Last edited by Tulio Botinha; 04-03-2015 at 03:26 AM.

You can create works for this website using any medium you choose. Obviously if you want to share it with us for fun and discussion it will have to be at least photographed and submitted. Scanning works better, I've done that plenty of times but I've also used my digital camera.

Sorry about the ink
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Another month with a bunch of great entries. Well, keep on keeping the voting difficult, this is awesome.

Final Warning!!!!!!! I will start the voting Tuesday night some time between 9pm and 11pm (Eastern Time, US)

These maps are looking great, but if you have any last minute additions or changes, do it now!

Voting starts tomorrow! I just wanted to take a second to wish everyone good luck; you guys are incredibly talented, and you make me envious!

For those of you who will vote, please remember that the challenge is not only about the wonderful artwork, but about the written elements as well. Please take a moment to READ THE MAPS before you vote. I know that just as much care and effort went into the creative writing as did the art, so please don't forget about it.

Good luck to everyone!

-IG

I've had a blast with this month's challenge. Not only with my own entry, but I've loved watching my 'rivals' put their maps together too. Good luck to everyone in the voting, but I think we're all winners. (Is that too cheesy LOL?!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast