Thread: City of the Taarasque (PEACH)

Guild Apprentice

Map City of the Taarasque (PEACH)

For long time players of D&D, specifically third edition, the City of the Tarrasque is a particularly evocative setting. Originally created and explored in this thread, and expanded upon here, the City of the Tarrasque has grown around a massive, captured god-like beast, the Tarrasque. The monster is contained in a fortress where the canyon narrows, where, to keep it from regenerating, it is hacked at every day. A river of blood and water flows through the fortress, and the city feeds on the abundant meat. The city first grew up around the fortress to house the various wizards, scholars and alchemists that came to exploit the tarrasque's bounty. Eventually, it was almost as if the neverending stream of tarrasque blood, flesh and bone was more important than imprisoning the beast itself.

Small-Size Image:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taar_small.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	846.5 KB 
ID:	72113

Full-Size Image:
    http://imgur.com/OBWB2t1

Nice map although I have to wonder why no one lives further upstream. I know that is where I'd rather put my house. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

From an economics perspective, I would expect to see larger facilities close to the river (possibly even closing it over in its upper reaches) as well as having piers built out into the river to get the cleaner, less contaminated stuff. There should also be a major road heading directly to the fortress (or possibly a slide for meat chunks down the major sales yard in the city). I understand the desire to have a cleared area around the fortress, but I would also expect that folks would want to get as close to the source of their desire as possible; maybe a city wall-style element built from the side walls of the closest buildings?

Guild Apprentice

So, I just used this map for a one-off session in the city (which was a blast), but it definitely deserves some work if we're going to revisit the city.

I'll be reworking the roads near the fortress and adding some warehouses there to close the gap from the buildings to the fort. I might also place a few buildings upstream of the fortress. I imagined this to be less than ideal due to the narrow path around the fortress and high canyon wall upstream (rockfalls are somewhat common.) Also, I'll be reworking my roads into the city to seem more prominant.

Are my colors okay? I'm red-green colorblind and thats often an issue.
    Are there any other points of interest I should add?

Guild Apprentice

Update: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	taar - edited.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	72371
    Sorry for the broken attachment, should be fixed now
    Last edited by Scarce; 04-03-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Scarce, your link is not working .