So the question is really, how do I get all those little channels and furrows in my contour lines? Summed up in one word by Waldronate as 'detail'. Unless you want to spend most of the rest of your life actually drawing those little lines (as Pixie said), you need to have some sort of procedural generator to do the contours for you - you can't just draw them. A procedural generator is an automated process which works out how your rivers flow and 'cuts' the contours to accommodate. You should download 'Wilbur' as Waldronate mentioned (he's very modest - he's the genius who made Wilbur - and he IS a genius). Waldronate is also responsible (I think, not sure) for most of the back end of Fractal Terrains which is sold by Pro Fantasy. If you want maps that look like that, then I would suggest you look at FT. www.profantasy.com

There are other ways to make detailed topographical maps using photoshop or Gimp, but at your stage, if you want quick results, I would really suggest Wilbur (FREE!) or Fractal Terrains (not free but very cool and IMO easier to use).

best

Ravs