Thread: I Want to Be a Cartographer!

Default I Want to Be a Cartographer!

Well, partly. What I really want to do is DM. I've always wanted to play D&D, but growing up, I've never had the chance to find anyone to play with, nor could I get any of my relatives to get me some core rulebooks until I basically forgot about it when I entered high school.

Now that I have my own means, I got myself a set of 5e core rulebooks, and a dream of DMing my own handcrafted campaign setting. Making maps seems like so much fun, but the first ones I've made were the some of the fugliest maps I've ever seen . I took to the net to find references, which led me here. I look forward to learning all about cartography and having fun with the rest of the community here! Cheers!

I too wanted to map my own campaign when I joined this forum. Welcome!

Banned User

Hello nicodoggie, Welcome to the Guild!

There is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

As for playing D+D, you could check out the local game stores where you live ... a lot of times you will be able to find people there to either play with. There are also some online ways to play, such as Roll20.net.

I'll start reading these after I get home from work (maybe sneak some reading in between breaks). I got my girlfriend into playing D&D as well, and we're both learning by playing together for now. We got Fantasy Grounds to play online, and maybe one of these days, we'll muster up some courage to play in some of the local groups where we are.

Thanks for the warm welcome!