Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: October 2008 Entry: Something Swampish this way comes

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree w/JFJr I think it's the white haze that detracts from it (if anything does).

As another idea, maybe you could add some floating debris or dead fish or something.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with SG, I was thinking deadfalls, clumps, trees, weeds, cattails, leaves, sticks, water ripples, etc. If this place is built on stilts then the white glow would not be needed to define the land areas so I would go over the land parts and shade them or something. If the place is built atop clumps of land they need to be extended out beyond the wooden walkways. I think it's pretty good I'm just wearing my tweaking hat tonight cuz I don't feel like wearing my doing hat Keep going, shaping up nicely.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

What I am hearing is that the water is not quite working. Currently it is 2 different pattern fills overlaid on each other with a gradient painted on them to add depth. When I get to my work PC tomorrow I will remove the pattern fill with the white bubblies along the edges of the water areas and maybe reverse the gradient...

thanks for the crits fellas!
    Something witty and pithy

I find that a most effective technique for water is to use 3 layers. Top one is your water surface (your one is excellent I think) and the bottom is something that will be the bottom of the water (you wont see much of it but it should just be hinted at to sell the depth illusion). Between the two layers apply a third layer that is just a black to transparent gradient reflecting the relative depths of different parts of the water with black being the deepest. Then just play with the opacity of the two top layers until you get what you are looking for.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Guild Journeyer

With the water effect, are they meant to be distinct seperate pools, or is the planking meant to be over a single mass of water. If the later I don't understand why you would have the edge effects on each pool

Reworked the water a bit and added some texture to the planking.

Thanks everyone, for all the input, I am definitely taking it to heart. This is my first non-regional/world/city level map soo... I am soaking up all the comments that I can get.

I have decided to go with a steam-punk kind of turn 1880's time frame so I am now making the roofs of the buildings into corrugated metal.

After I have the buildings done it will be time to add some interesting stuff.

Once the intersting stuff is added, then comes the vegatation.... that is going ot be tricky.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	octchallenge.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	796.2 KB 
ID:	6999  
    Last edited by mmmmmpig; 10-10-2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Updated WiP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Wood looks awesome, metal looks awesome. Might want a touch of greenish-blue in the gray water and a darker green on the moss...but then I always like darker so make of that what you will I do like the clumpy bits and sticks though, maybe a few more? I dunno. Shaping up very nicely though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ascension:
    I agree that something is still "off" on the water. I will need to take my thumb drive into work so I can port this thing home to tweak. That won't be until Monday night then

Quote Originally Posted by mmmmmpig View Post
    ummm.... everything needs alligators!

Hmm I think it needs more cowbell? Sorry couldnt resist

On a more serious note, its great to watch the development of this map. Keep it up
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Man I feel all feverish just looking at that brackish water
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast