Thread: How do I Straighten Out My Map?

Help How do I Straighten Out My Map?

Hello everyone.

I have this map that due to unsupervised transportation got bent and now has many creases.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage-map.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	76266

I need to straighten it out and fix those bumps and creases before I can roll it onto pole as I am intending to store map on it.
    I am hesitant to use steam iron on it but if you can give directions on how to do it right I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Banned User

What kind of paper is it? It looks glossy.

I warn you, those kind of creases will never come out completely. Paper is like that, even a tiny crease will always be there, and from the looks of your map, you have several permanent ones.

Gentle folds are different. Those can be straightened to a great extent.

I would start with laying the map out as flat as possible on a hard very flat surface, and then put something hard and very flat on top of it. Neither surface should have any texture and both should be larger than the map if possible. Then pile all the books you have on top to add a lot of weight. Let that sit for a week.

Once you see how much good that did, you will have a better idea of how much more you need/want to do. That will be the time to get out the steam iron (very low setting, minimum water).

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    What kind of paper is it? It looks glossy.
    I can't tell if it's kraft or paper used to wrap gifts. The back is matte and front has slight coating that allows for weak glossiness yet it's not a film coating.

Once you see how much good that did, you will have a better idea of how much more you need/want to do. That will be the time to get out the steam iron (very low setting, minimum water).
    Thanks. Do I put some material on map and then start ironing?

Banned User

OK, good without any coating. Do all ironing on the UNCOATED side and keep the iron low heat to not affect any coating on the front side.

For the iron, do NOT use any textured material of any kind. Every bit of texture will show in the paper. Just use the smoothest cleanest flattest iron you can find, right on the back of the paper. And make sure the surface you are ironing on is also absolutely smooth, no texture of any kind! Do NOT use an ironing board with a cover, or any fabric of any kind. If your kitchen counter is absolutely smooth, use that. If not, try to find a piece of glass or Plexiglas, or anything totally smooth to iron on.

(And don't sue me if this doesn't work. It's only what I would do if I were desperate to save something like that. It's not ever going to be totally satisfactory.)
    Last edited by Chick; 09-25-2015 at 09:49 AM.

OK, good without any coating. Do all ironing on the UNCOATED side and keep the iron low heat to not affect any coating on the front side.
    I did what you adviced except that I didn't press it with flat and heavy surface for a week because I haven't found anything at home. But I did some steam ironing at low setting with slightly wet towel between the two. I attached photo with result and while it's a lot better, there are still few creases on map's back. I just wonder how I would store this map since I can't fold it and I don't have thick pole at proper height to roll map on it. I could use wooden pole from broom but I think it's not as thick...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage-map-steam-ironed.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	76312  

Banned User

Well, if you used a towel, you are lucky if the fabric texture isn't pressed into the paper now.

You don't say where you live, but if it is convenient and available, you might go buy a cheap roll of gift wrapping paper, toss the paper and use the cardboard cylinder as your pole to wrap the map on.

Well, if you used a towel, you are lucky if the fabric texture isn't pressed into the paper now.

You don't say where you live, but if it is convenient and available, you might go buy a cheap roll of gift wrapping paper, toss the paper and use the cardboard cylinder as your pole to wrap the map on.
    Well it's not exactly towel that I used. I guess it was specifically intended for ironing purposes and reminds of bed sheet.

On my balcony I found plastic pipe which I cleaned and intend to roll map on it. I happen to be testing my digital camera
    at this moment so I didn't hesitate to take a shoot. Would it be okay to roll map on and let it stay for a week?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastic-pipe.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	76337  

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TechnicGeek View Post
    Well it's not exactly towel that I used. I guess it was specifically intended for ironing purposes and reminds of bed sheet.

On my balcony I found plastic pipe which I cleaned and intend to roll map on it. I happen to be testing my digital camera
    at this moment so I didn't hesitate to take a shoot. Would it be okay to roll map on and let it stay for a week?

Thanks
    I don't see why that would be any problem, as long as it is clean and dry. Inside the pipe might even be a good permanent storage place if it is clean and dry