Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Tanaephis arrives in colour

Ditto to all the praise so far and furthermore: the geography/geology behind the map is sound and one can really get a grasp of the landscapes. This style normally makes the maps a little simplistic in a plains vs. mountains manner. Yours isn't, rep for that!

The heavy linework and the choice of colors give the whole thing a beautiful "cartoony" look, but I also think the red gem-like icons aren't in balance with the rest. The region labels aren't perfect, I agree with you, but a little lighter glow could probably do the trick.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Dain's Avatar

Thanks guys for the support

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Looks excellent. My only comment wuld be on the waterlines. It looks a bit too digital. Drawing them by hand would be icing on the cake Nice job, buddy!
    Damn you mate, I knew you were going to say something like that!
    Now, my eyes can't get away from the coastlines without shouting me "Do something, you idiot" !
    I guess , I will ...

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    It took me a second to figure it out, but the way you've noted the rivers running through the forests in the southern lands is fantastic. This is going to be one awesome map. Heck, it already is.
    Spot on! I indeed tried to bring something different for rivers crossing forests. Suggest rather than draw river shores.I'm glad you noticed. I will color the area with darker and brighter tones to emphasise the relief.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Ditto to all the praise so far and furthermore: the geography/geology behind the map is sound and one can really get a grasp of the landscapes. This style normally makes the maps a little simplistic in a plains vs. mountains manner. Yours isn't, rep for that!
    The heavy linework and the choice of colors give the whole thing a beautiful "cartoony" look, but I also think the red gem-like icons aren't in balance with the rest. The region labels aren't perfect, I agree with you, but a little lighter glow could probably do the trick.
    Thanks, Valleys are indeed quite bare usually. It's not an easy task but I'll try to make the desert and other flat areas as interesting as possible.
    I agree about the "cartoony" aspect, even if it wasn't actually intended. Would you believe me if I'd say I intended to match JaredBlando's style ... what a failure!
    I'm very bad with labelling, I must admit. every single time I change the setting, it's getting not necessary better ... oh my ...

Banned User

As an alternative to hand drawing all of them, I think you could improve the waterlines by making them fewer and spread apart a bit more, and use smoothing on the lines. If you are using some kind of outer glow style, try just using manual select, expand with smoothing, and stroke. I'd say use no more than 4 lines and make each line lower transparency on the stroke as you go out from the shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Chick View Post
    As an alternative to hand drawing all of them, I think you could improve the waterlines by making them fewer and spread apart a bit more, and use smoothing on the lines. If you are using some kind of outer glow style, try just using manual select, expand with smoothing, and stroke. I'd say use no more than 4 lines and make each line lower transparency on the stroke as you go out from the shore.
    Thanks for the tip!
    I was actually using 3 different layers with different opacity.
    I like you idea of using the smooth function. Will try to do that first. If I can save some time ...

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dain View Post
    Thanks for the tip!
    I was actually using 3 different layers with different opacity.
    I like you idea of using the smooth function. Will try to do that first. If I can save some time ...
    I did a tutorial on this a while back, if it helps ..... http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30388

Thanks for the link

In fact, I did use the smooth function but I probably didn't push the smoothing far enough. I think it can be seen on the map.
    I guess that's the kind of things where we need to make some trials first before getting the perfect set :/

Wow, that's gonna be epic! I will definitely follow your work on this one.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, love it.

My only critique: in the non-coloured version the coastline looks very rugged and naturalistic, but that grey colour outline in the coloured version makes it look a bit more rounded and indistinct. I like the line effect (is it an outer glow?), but personally I'd tone down or remove that grey stroke outline.

Fantastic linework, lovely coloring. Very inspiring over all!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Hi guys,
    Thanks for the support!

Today, big update.
    There are always things to change so I won't call it finished yet.
    The compass rose for instance is really ugly. There are some drop shadows for the labels etc.. but anyways, it's never been so close to the finish line

Again, please comment, argue, speak your mind with no disguise. I take everything
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tanaephis-wip10-big.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	5.03 MB 
ID:	77360  

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast