Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: Nissyr Arcology

Thanks for the support guys. Truth be told, I was kinda letting this aside... You gave me a push to work on it again. So, just some colours and indications on the side view (but I'm really not pleased with it... so that's likely to change).
    And a test of a rail station (red spot/blur on the general maps). I think it's gonna give me directions if I work the plans of different locations (rail station, mall, offices, flat block, etc.).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nissyr Arcology.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	77099

Name:	Nissyr rail.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	77100

So... I've been trying sketchup, and kinda became crazy I fear.
    I did a test that I like, but it's just the under rail station connecting the fringe (the edge of the arcology), and not even the entire plan of the rail station... So, It will be far too much work in the end.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	31 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	77206

And, my crazyness pushed me to do a try on my good old city... Even much more work .

Name:	Argona 3d test.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	412.2 KB 
ID:	77207

Yeah, Sketchup has some nice features and I've seen a couple people here using it. It easy to get started, but then has some quirk, one feature that would be interesting is the sandbox tool, where you can starting doing contours for the landscape and able to sit building into it. Worth exploring, good luck!

By Snodsy
    Yeah, Sketchup has some nice features and I've seen a couple people here using it. It easy to get started, but then has some quirk, one feature that would be interesting is the sandbox tool, where you can starting doing contours for the landscape and able to sit building into it. Worth exploring, good luck!
    Yep, I'm learning how to use it... and never tried the sandbox tool yet, thanks for the tip !

Here's what I have so far : one of the rail hub, done, except for the little stuff (but I won't do that : too much work!), and my first start on remodeling the entire arcology.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	38 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	77247

Great job on the railwaystations Ilanthar! I only tried out sketchup once but didn't stuck to it... and wow, madness indeed (though a very welcomed one) if your going to go for a 3D model of Argona Btw.: (some more thread-hijacking...) If you are going for buildings as they are depicted in your uploaded picture, are you just tracing the outlines of the buildings on the 2d map and "lift" them up all at once, or are you modelling each building for itself?
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu! I'm really struggling with sketchup and I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong or not the easier way...

By Abu Lafia
    If you are going for buildings as they are depicted in your uploaded picture, are you just tracing the outlines of the buildings on the 2d map and "lift" them up all at once, or are you modelling each building for itself?
    I don't really now what I'm doing... so probably a bit of both . I found a lot of things are not correct when seen in 3D, then I changed the original plans/ideas I've in mind. Not to mention that I'm deleting things (too much work or uselessly big).

I found SketchUp much easier once I figured out how to make groups and components. You can just copy and paste buildings, then - but that requires that they all have the same basic model to begin with. I wound up with about a dozen different basic models for the different districts (funiculars, mansions, middle class, lower class, etc). It's still much easier than having to "draw" each building individually. (The palace alone took several weeks and several different attempts.)

Like Abu said, your train stations look great and the dome's already taking shape. You're getting a real sense of a modern space that people actually live in, which I think is one of the hardest parts about city mapping.

Grouping objects and components is the holy grail for Sketchup. Ilanthar, also Stamping is the way to place buildings into the landscape mesh, there are some good tutorials for that.

Thanks for those comments guys. Since I've never grouped objects and components nor stamping, it only confirms that I'm not using sketchup correctly...

@ Snodsy : could you point me those tutorials? That would be very useful.

I've worked more on the dome and a cut-view. And I realize that I need to "place" my different portions in it to get the proper dimensions and shapes. In other words, I've done it the opposite way with the rail station... (it could fit in though, but I'm struggling to put it in place...)
    I've done a test about labels for the rail station.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	77286
    Should I hide the lines of the dome? And I've no clue to do trees/crop fields...
    Thanks for the tips and help!

Ilanthar;
    I've added a couple links but you can;
    Type into google - Sketchup Terrain or Sketchup Landscape or Sketchup Contours
    Type into YouTube Sketchup and you'll hundreds, then just refine your search;

Here are two to maybe start with.
    One is the STAMP tool, but also talks about the Sandbox tool, the other is the Sandbox tool and meshes. There are more tutorials on the Sandbox tool also, just search google or you tube.

Also Adobe Illustrator can create landscapes with the mesh tool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVBZHHNBYUE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DSmo_dLAmM

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Thanks for those comments guys. Since I've never grouped objects and components nor stamping, it only confirms that I'm not using sketchup correctly...

@ Snodsy : could you point me those tutorials? That would be very useful.

I've worked more on the dome and a cut-view. And I realize that I need to "place" my different portions in it to get the proper dimensions and shapes. In other words, I've done it the opposite way with the rail station... (it could fit in though, but I'm struggling to put it in place...)
    I've done a test about labels for the rail station.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	77286
    Should I hide the lines of the dome? And I've no clue to do trees/crop fields...
    Thanks for the tips and help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast