Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: December 2015 Annual Challenge: City of Hills

Big thanks Diamond and J.Ed.

That would be tons of fun Diamond. Fun ... and horrible, imagine the time it would take

Originally I intended to make a huge industrial city map, with lots of factories, trains, ships, chimneys – you name it! However, I realized that the style I practiced all year does not convert well to late 19th century. But next year!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Another step forward! Been away for a couple of days, so haven't had time. But something!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city of hills 4.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	77051

That castle is so full of charm. I want to go there. Could you write a book to accompany the map too?

Seriously, it's looking fantastic and it's a privilege to watch it come together.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you ChickPea . I would if I could, so much thoughts and scenes filling my head when I draw these city maps, but I am such a slow writer ...

Another small update. This will add up to a nice GIF when I'm finished.

This weekend I'm going to start drawing on the next "big" thing in the map, a huge monastery. I've been stacking up some reference images to draw inspiration from, however, if anyone wants to add something to the stack, feel free to pitch in!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Name:	city of hills 5.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	77071

Cool additions! Like the fountain and do I see a guillotine? Looks like there some partial wooden structures. Look forward to the Monastery, looks awesome!!

Great to see the city grow tainotim, it's a real pleasure to see this coming together so lovely! I'm happy you took the challenge to add some "wooden stuff" The fantastic details (cranes, docks, ladders, etc.) adding a lot to the atmosphere already. Not to forget (i think it wasn't mentioned before): I absolutely love the ivy(?) on the castle walls/roofs and the other buildings! It makes the whole city so lively.
    Can't wait to see the so far only sketched tower-like building with the balcony and ladders inked...
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

It's gonna be great! And since we can see the river making its way, I've a suggestion : a good old bridge with houses/mills on it, or maybe just a small covered one (as the Whispers's bridge in Venice). That would be awesome.

Thanks for the feedback friends! Makes me all warm inside. Much details, like the ivy, will be more clear when it's colored I think. Also, that's a great suggestion Ilanthar that I will definitely try to incorporate somehow

I drew the monastery, however, not sure I like it all that much. Gothic stuff is difficult on the small scale, and it feels slightly "unbalanced" to the rest of the map. Hopefully will feel more in-place later on.

Now, realizing I have less than a month left – I have no time to write!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	city of hills 6.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.89 MB 
ID:	77159
    Last edited by tainotim; 11-02-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Tonights update. Not much more, just some buildings, but something!

Cheers,
    Tainotim

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	city of hills 7.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	77197

I can somehow see what you mean with the gothic monastery compared to the rest of the buildings, but man, what a fantstic work you've done there, really outstanding!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast