Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oct / Nov 2015 Lite Challenge: Waterway Legends

Wow, this turned out very appealing ChickPea! I like the color palette and the overall layout a lot. The tales about the water spirits are fantstic, and thanks for the useful tips on how to deal with them! Looking at the thumbnail, the area behind the mountain range seems a bit too red compared to the foreground in my view. Keep up the great work!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Could it be that your general dissatisfaction arise from the mismatch between the map and the tales? The map looks very good and the selected folklore is awesome, but I can't see how they connect. For instance, Seonaidh legend mentions the Isle of Lewis, but no island appears on the map, another legend mentions a strait, but there's none drawn..

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Could it be that your general dissatisfaction arise from the mismatch between the map and the tales? The map looks very good and the selected folklore is awesome, but I can't see how they connect. For instance, Seonaidh legend mentions the Isle of Lewis, but no island appears on the map, another legend mentions a strait, but there's none drawn..
    Yes, this is certainly part of it. It was my intention to add little pictorial icons relating to each of the legends, but I find that I'm losing interest .... :/
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The new mountains really help and I think it looks great. But if you are feeling it needs more, then there is a lot of blank sky to play with. Clouds, an illustration, perhaps a large title shield.

Thanks, Bogie.

I'm going to stick a big title in the top centre area and call it done. I did a bad thing and started working on a new map instead....!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    ...but I find that I'm losing interest .... :/
    Yeah, I definitely feel you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I did a bad thing and started working on a new map instead....!
    ...and that.

But I like it! Since you fixed that left-side river the perspective looks great.

For the sake of completeness, I'm posting my final update on this, though all I've really done is add a title. I might go back to this one of these days and redo it, but I'm done for now.

Note to self: think things through and plan a little before you dive in feet first!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	waterways.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	77391

Now it looks complete, Nice!

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Now it looks complete, Nice!
    Well, except for one thing

It's a very pretty picture, but it needs a compass. A cartography professor once said, "It's not a map unless it has a compass. Without a compass, it's just a pretty picture".

Personally I'd love to see some connection between the stories and the picture, too. Without any connection, it's just a set of nice tales printed on the edges of a pretty picture.

It's a very nice job, Chickpea, and I know you have other interests, but those two things could be very simple and quick to do, and together they would turn a very pretty picture into a very nice map!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123