Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: October/November 2015 Lite Challenge Entry: The River Kingdom

Map looks great and that's a sweet story. Is that the final font you're going to be using for the story, or is it more of a placeholder at the moment?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

It's getting better and better snodsy! I guess "haiti" is moutains in shawnee?
    Curiously waiting for the colors to come in, this is going to be awesome...
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Chick Pea - any comment on the type? Yes right now its what I'm planning issues? concerns? dislikes?

Yeah Abu Lafia, I'm not sure about the Indian First Name, Second Name English to help in identification or have a KEY and all Indian (Algonquian words) on the map. THOUGHTS??

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Chick Pea - any comment on the type? Yes right now its what I'm planning issues? concerns? dislikes?
    No real concern, more curiosity. Sans-serifs fonts aren't often used on the more decorative maps, so I wondered if it was only temporary. The less-styled font probably works well in contrast to the detailed line art, though I'd be curious to see a more decorative typeface in there too. But, I think I'd like to see what it looks like when coloured before I make any judgement.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

This is all excellent, but I really like the sedimentary detail in the Nuntanuhs Steppes and the tumbled debris around Guapacina Lake. Using English words in some places helps me to identify the feature that bears a particular name, so in places (like the steppes and lake) where it might be ambiguous, it helps. The mountains are pretty obviously connected to the label that's on them. Does that make sense?

cheers,
    Meshon

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    No real concern, more curiosity. Sans-serifs fonts aren't often used on the more decorative maps, so I wondered if it was only temporary. The less-styled font probably works well in contrast to the detailed line art, though I'd be curious to see a more decorative typeface in there too. But, I think I'd like to see what it looks like when coloured before I make any judgement.
    ChickPea;

I'm looking for a font that might have a more pictographic feel/humanistic feel, not one of European decent. Maybe what I call a chiseled font that has short tapered serifs - not quite a full serif and not a true sans serif. I have a few I'll try. But your comment helps me actually think about it more, and refine the choice, thanks.

Although i don't understand them, i'm always fascinated by algonquian words. In my view it always adds a lot to a map if the names are in local language. Maybe you can put the english translation below the original name, if it's not taking too much space? I tried something similar in my Dor-en-Ernil map.
    Regarding the font, i agree that a plain sans serif maybe isn't the best choice, and i would search in a similar direction as you mentioned. I had some trouble finding good looking "non european" fonts (at least free ones ) in some cases, so i hope you'll find something you're happy with.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

### LATEST WIP ### 7th - 21hrs 1st Color - background, water, sky, and 1st shadow layer (there will be two highlight layers and a 2nd shadow layer. Then other elements colored.) Fingers cramping
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RiverKingdom_07.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.31 MB 
ID:	76967

Very Nice snodsy! it's coming out very well!

Just a couple of notes:
    -The shadows are great! but they shouldn't be on the cliffs on left, that's the side of the source of light
    -About the lineart, you choosed to make the closer objects thicker, and it make sense, but the trees (on bottom) are less thick than the surrounding lines, and feels strange..
    -The left side of central waterfall is too curved. Remember that water falls almost vertically, like the waterfall on the right

Keep it up!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast