Thread: [Bodhisattva] India-Style Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Question [Bodhisattva] India-Style Map

Hey guys!

Despite being heavily swamped with client work, I managed to write something up. I wrote a small additional Pen-&-Paper RPG (in addition to my big project I've been working on for a few years) as a way to just relax, get some stuff out of my mind and just to have fun. This is my first RPG I wrote in Englisch (I'm German ) but some already read it to get rid of the most mistakes I made. It's kind of WIP, but the rules stand completely, just need some more fluff text.

If you want to check it out, you can find it here.
    You are also able to comment or download, feel free to do so =)

For this, I need a map. Well... I already started with something like a rough sketch of what I had in mind, but I'm not happy with it at all and wanted your opinion regarding:
    - Shape of the continents
    - Style of the overall map
    Never did something like this before, so I need something more indian-looking or kind-of-asian vibe to this. Do you have any good sources, tips and opinions on this? Feel free to ask follow-up questions if you have any =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	webSketch.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	77212

Best wishes, Steffen
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 11-04-2015 at 10:32 AM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.

The first thing that came to mind was Sapiento's map - world of Sinxay - http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=29594
    I tried looking for something good for you on Pinterest but didn't find anything note worthy.
    The land shapes are interesting. I don't know if there is enough done yet to comment on the overall style of the map though.

edit - I was looking through DA and found a few maps that I thought had a color scheme that made me think [india style] so maybe they would be inspirational.
    http://jesss33.deviantart.com/art/tr...58968221&qo=28
    http://stratomunchkin.deviantart.com...58968221&qo=37
    http://elsakroese.deviantart.com/art...58968221&qo=75
    http://schwarzkreuz.deviantart.com/a...8968221&qo=205
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-04-2015 at 10:57 AM.

Looks very interesting so far. I like the landmass shape.
    As a source, i can only recommend: "Cartography in the Traditional Islamic and South Asian Societies" from the fantstic series: The History of Cartography. The chapters are freely available at http://www.press.uchicago.edu/books/...me2_Book1.html It was really inspirational for me to browse these volumes... hope it helps you too...
    Edit: the next volume of the series is about east- and southeastasian cartography, might be interesting too
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks, J.Edward for the links! I especially like the Vagabond RPG Map in this bunch, very inspirational! Sinxay is something very unique, too! Now that you mentioned it I kind of remembered that I commented on it as it was published by him =) My search on Pinterest didn't show that much either, therefore this thread :/

Thank you Abu Lafia! Wasn't aware of that book series and I will check it out! =)

Is there any more stuff you know about or help / advice you can share about this? =)
    Cheers, Steffen
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Interesting project, Steffen. I think you can get some Indian flavour by using some decorative elements.

I would agree with Sapiento on that.
    Of the 'Indian' maps I could find [most being just B&W maps] the only thing that really made them seem India-ish was the text which was in Hindi letters.
    The Indian imagery though is very distinctive and bright colored so adding any of that to the map would add some of that flavor.

Sure seems that way, but good to know. Thank you all for the help and I'll be sure to post the WIP once I actually started on this one =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

For some interested a quick update: The RPG is completely written, just check the link above or here. =)
    Happy to announce that (after client work) this map will probably be next in line!
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice to see an Indian-flavored RPG setting for once! Nice work. Now finish the map!

I bet this isn't what you hoped for, Diamond... but at least the makeshift-book is printed for Beta-tests soon
    Map will follow when I find the time. But it's got to be finished one day... I also got some first quick-&-dirty sketches how I want to design the illustrations.

Sorry for the bad quality, only mobile phone atm. :/

Name:	12339629_990391267689317_6314531949867498462_o.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	392.3 KB 
ID:	77921

Name:	12244582_986037884791322_7103291081645768481_o.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	77922Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12265568_986037828124661_4748456859074454648_o.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	366.2 KB 
ID:	77923
    Last edited by SteffenBrand; 12-03-2015 at 04:31 PM.
    Visit me on ArtStation.