Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: November/December 2015 Challenge :*** "Commission" a Guilder ! ***

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I don't see that as a problem; what do you think, Max?

hmm, i guess i see no reason why the maps cant be complimentary. it does create a possible idea for a challenge to combine two artists map worked on together. might be an interesting idea to see what could happen.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

I don't see any problem with it.

Great to hear, there is no problem with our idea. And thanks a lot for bringing the "commision a guillder" challenge up again! I was hoping for it, as i really like the results of the last year's challenge. For a fairly new member of the CG like me, without any experience doing commisioned work, it's also a wonderful occasion, to practice this.
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

This sounds fun, maybe I should give it a go..even though it will probably end up sub par compared to the rest
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

I love this idea of Abu & Meshon's. That'll be a fun one to watch.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

What an awesome idea, look forward to see what you two do!

Banned User

I haven't done much with city maps, and I'd like to learn to do one, so if someone wants a SMALL city, I'd be interested. Email me at yodercm@earthlink.net if you'd like to discuss. Of course, if you actually need it for something, let the buyer beware
    Last edited by Chick; 11-06-2015 at 10:12 AM.

Chick & I have each proposed a map for the other to do. Here is my design brief for Chick;

Historical City Map - NIPPUR - TOP DOWN VIEW
    Time Period - 2500 BCE Mesopotamia - Early Dynastic Period.
    Bronze age for weapons and decorations, Stone age for farming and agriculture. Sumerian cuneiform writing is developing.

There were approximately 18 Sumerian City States along the Euphrates River at this time, with warfare common amongst them, each with a walled city, farmland, grazing fields, orchards surrounding them and arid landscapes between the cities.

The city of NIPPUR is the regional religious center with approximately 20-30,000 occupants. The temple of Enlil (storm god) was a regional pilgrimage for all and is the main building on the site. 3 main roads lead into the city- West from Susa, South from Isin, Northwest to Kish.

A regional map could be included as well as an icon or more detail illustration for the temple Enlil if desired.
    Label important buildings, temple, rivers and canels, and other important geographical elements.
    Including a scale and compass rose should be period specific.

Let me know if I should post this in another format/thread.

Banned User

And here is my request from Snodsy:

I need a map of an island, roughly 20-30 miles across, rough coastlines with few landing spots, and surrounded by a permanent thick fog.

The island is wilderness, mostly rocky and hilly, with lots of crags and defiles and passes, but no real mountains. Trees and forests intersperse with the rocky outcrops. A few small rivers flow from highlands to the sea, including one from the lake.

On the island are the following locations:

· A landable strip of beach.

· A few-miles-long Y-shaped rocky defile leading up into the hills that widens and narrows.

· One leg of the Y ends with a wide spot and a dragon weyr high in the cliffside.

· A small town, totally in ruins, lies a bit beyond the end of the other leg of the Y in the island’s interior.

· A large Palace of the Gods, complete with a large lawn, very large orchard, other gardens, and a stairway to the heavens, settled next to a large lake in a verdant valley.

· A large lake next to the Palace, fed by twin waterfalls springing from caves on the cliffs above it that looks like eyes in a face.

· Drowned in the lake is a large castle, connected to the Palace by an underground passageway.

· Some reasonably large clearings and open country subject to possible attacks from above scattered around the island.

· A few tight thick forest areas subject to ambushes scattered around the island.

The two main buildings are the Palace of the Gods and the drowned castle in the lake, connected to each other by the underground passage. I will leave it to you if you want to map the interiors of these.

The remainder of the regions mentioned are spread out a few miles apart.

You are welcome to use greyscale or color as you wish. The map should be primarily horizontal, but otherwise you can size it as you wish to fit the map you create.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast