Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 900-1250 C.E. Optimistic Trade Networks

Guild Apprentice

Default 900-1250 C.E. Optimistic Trade Networks

This is my first map. It depicts an optimistic state of the global trade network during the 10-13th (900-1250) century C.E. However, as history is not static, some of these cities were more active in certain periods, and less active in others. Hedeby for example is destroyed in 1066, while most of central asia was ravaged by the Mongols in the mid 13th century. As well as the italian states rising to power in the late 12th century, and the decline of the south iberian cities in the 13th century. So keep in mind that this is an optimistic view, covering the approximate timespan of 900-1250 C.E.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	900_1250_c_e__optimistic_trade_routes_by_martinmansson-d9fyqx4.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	554.5 KB 
ID:	77289

For better view:

http://martinmansson.deviantart.com/...253A1447095627
    Last edited by MartinMånsson; 11-09-2015 at 02:00 PM.

It looks great Martin. I checked it out over on DA.
    This is really excellent for your first map.
    Have some rep.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 11-12-2015 at 07:14 PM.

I agree, great job Martin! Although my knowledge is limited on this subject, i'm always fascinated by the "globalized" level of (pre-) medieval trade, and you illustrated it really nicely with your map. My favourite story regarding this, is about the hadj of the malian king Mansa Musa. Alledgedly, the amount of gold he carried with him (and spent) on his journey to Mecca caused an immediate breakdown of gold value in the mediterranean markets.
    Keep up the good work and have some rep!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    I agree, great job Martin! Although my knowledge is limited on this subject, i'm always fascinated by the "globalized" level of (pre-) medieval trade, and you illustrated it really nicely with your map. My favourite story regarding this, is about the hadj of the malian king Mansa Musa. Alledgedly, the amount of gold he carried with him (and spent) on his journey to Mecca caused an immediate breakdown of gold value in the mediterranean markets.
    Keep up the good work and have some rep!
    Cheers,
    AL
    Then we share a common fascination!
    The Mansa Musa-incident happened a short while after the period depicted here; when the trans-saharan trade was even more integrated eastward towards Egypt, as opposed to the continuously waning status of North Africa. Which waning status is attributed to the reconquista of Iberia. As the muslim markets in Iberia disappeared, so did the opportunities for the North Africans. At that point, Tunis and Tripoli would be 'soon-to-be' backwater cities, rather than major players in the trade game as they are depicted in this particular map.
    Last edited by MartinMånsson; 11-08-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Clean and impressive map Martin! The details of the mountains are excellent (It's easy to guess where are Mt Everest or Mt Blanc ) and the perspective choice excellent for showing the roads. Great work!

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Clean and impressive map Martin! The details of the mountains are excellent (It's easy to guess where are Mt Everest or Mt Blanc ) and the perspective choice excellent for showing the roads. Great work!
    Thanks a lot, Ilanthar!

This is one of the best maps featured in here lately!

I am particularily impressed with the choice of projection and with the choice of theme. Both are very original. Could you share how you built this projection from China to the Atlantic Coast and what were your main sources of information?

As for the visual side of the map, my only problem with it is that the labels are too small for the size of the map. I don't think the piece needed so much white space.

Still, kudos, rep and personal admiration!!

Well done!

Judging from the shape of the Kola peninsula, it's an equirectangular projection with a rotation to put Arabia vertical and then cropped. The mountains are nicely done and the information content is pretty high. I do agree with Pixie about the labels when looking at the overview image, but they seem much less problematic when the map is fully zoomed in.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    This is one of the best maps featured in here lately!

I am particularily impressed with the choice of projection and with the choice of theme. Both are very original. Could you share how you built this projection from China to the Atlantic Coast and what were your main sources of information?

As for the visual side of the map, my only problem with it is that the labels are too small for the size of the map. I don't think the piece needed so much white space.

Still, kudos, rep and personal admiration!!
    That's very kind of you!

This is the map i used as land and topography reference:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...with_Frame.png. However, i'm not very good with photoshop and tracing, so i basically redrew the map using this as background reference. The reference map is not too accurate on some river systems, so i used different more regional reference maps, especially for the rus rivers. As Waldronate notes, this is indeed a equirectangular projection.

I've been thinking about giving the major entrepotes bigger labels that can be read without the need to zoom to full extent. But that would interfere with the clean look of the full extended zoom - which is the zoom mode that the map is intended to be viewed. But, i agree. Perhaps i can figure out a middle ground.

About the white space, i originally intended to cut out northern russia and southern africa/atlantic. But the map itself is becoming very unruly to work with due to its size, and it's a lot to space to fill with new more meaningful content. I was thinking about adding some sort of 'terra incognita'-pattern to these areas. Perhaps i'll get back to this map at some point when i have the necessary hardware to deal with it.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Well done!

Judging from the shape of the Kola peninsula, it's an equirectangular projection with a rotation to put Arabia vertical and then cropped. The mountains are nicely done and the information content is pretty high. I do agree with Pixie about the labels when looking at the overview image, but they seem much less problematic when the map is fully zoomed in.
    Thank you!

You're correct about the projection. And yes, the map is basically unwatchable in the overview image, sadly. I'm not sure how to solve this without interfering with the full zoom extent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast