Thread: Hello, I'm New Here!

Default Hello, I'm New Here!

Hello all.
    I been painting landscapes on canvas and wall murals for around 20 years. I love nature and exploring things on a planetary scale. I been lurking around here off and on and finally decided to join as I am about to begin my epic world creation on a galactic scale starting with a planet that's the key to galactic peace. This planet been on my mind since childhood and there's an interesting story behind it.

Today I was reading up on different software to use and I'm currently deciding where to start. Well, for starters, I joined this site in the hopes to learn some things to enhance my world building creativity as well as share with others who like making worlds. In fact I have a domain called "WorlDesigner.org" that actually celebrates world creation from planets to architecture (Not Launched Yet). Also, I would like to use some real environmental science within my designing some aspects. I look forward to interacting on this site.

Programs I have:
    Sketchup Pro 2015
    Blender
    Wilbur
    Thea Render
    Xfrog 3.5 full (for trees and vegetation)
    ShaderMap 2
    Photoshop
    Gimp

-Dennis
    Last edited by Mistro; 11-27-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Hey Dennis, welcome to the Guild.
    You came to the right place for sure.
    There are lots of people here with all sorts of specialized knowledge, and general and helpful knowledge.
    Most everyone is pretty friendly and helpful.

If you're running Xfrog and wanting to build worlds, it seems like you should look into Terragen or Vue.
    There are some other cool world 3d software programs that I'm going to review in December or January for our software section on the front page.

Another handy program for visualizing a world globe from a map is G.projector.
    I'll be interested to see how you progress with this.
    Cheers,
    John

Banned User

Hi Dennis, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!