Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Member location map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    I'm on the map after my second attempt. I forgot to add the - to the longitude as well (in my first attempt). My dot is hiding behind RobA's dot.
    Shouldn't your dot be a bit further north and on Lake Ontario? Or are you not really in Toronto?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

suggestion: When there are many people at a single point (as in new york) make a single label with the names of all who live there.

Blog Entries

If New York or any other place gets too many in comparison to rest of map then ill add another zoom zone for them.

If all the members added themselves then we should expect areas with lots of dots. We cant expect to resolve every dot as an individual in every case.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Shouldn't your dot be a bit further north and on Lake Ontario? Or are you not really in Toronto?
    That's interesting. Toronto should be on the North-Western tip of Lake Ontario. Toronto's coordinates are Latitude: 43° 40' North, Longitude: 79° 22' West. I rounded down on my 2nd attempt and it put me near Niagara Falls. I tried a third attempt with 43.4 and -79.22 and it still missed the Greater Toronto Area (GTA as the locals call it).

Sigh, I grabbed the coordinates from Google Maps (43.76911,-79.387207) and it put me in Lake Ontario (4th attempt). I give up. Feel free to erase my previous attempts. Sorry about the extra work, Redrobes. Meanwhile if anyone needs me, I'll be snorkeling in Lake Ontario.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by joćo paulo View Post
    Hey, Turgenev, how's the weather there in Xinjiang Uyghur?
    Not bad. The locals have a saying, "Qian Wu Gou Ren."*

* Literally means "No ancients before us" (meaning: Go where no man has gone before!), if my Google Fu is correct.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Member

I'm up. Morganton, NC representing!

Post Added myself

nice idea RR

Just added myself, and I think I got it right
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Sigh, I grabbed the coordinates from Google Maps (43.76911,-79.387207) and it put me in Lake Ontario (4th attempt). I give up. Feel free to erase my previous attempts. Sorry about the extra work, Redrobes. Meanwhile if anyone needs me, I'll be snorkeling in Lake Ontario.
    Its ok as its my fault for rounding the coords on the USA map so I got out google and put in some super accurate ones now so hopefully it should be better. Its got you about right and RobA just on the coast underneath. Its never going to be absolute to the pixel but should be just about right enough to know where we all are in relation to each other.

We have some handles on the map from people who aren't in the members list so presumably these are lurking guests - which is cool as we will know where they come from *when* then decloak.

Well done Sagenlicht - you must be Munich (München) way then. People say its nice there. I have been there but just to the railway station tho ;(
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-02-2008 at 07:52 AM.

I think I placed myself properly, folks.

Heh RR, yep I live about 50 km away from munich (sorry no idea whats that in miles).

If ye ever get the chance to visit munich let me know
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast