Thread: Adobe illustrator

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Question Adobe illustrator

So, I have been having great fun in Photoshop and am learning a few things. Someone said to me that i should get used to using illustrator too. As a complete novice, what things in relation to map making will illustrator be used for compared to photoshop?

Hi! I have worked alot in Illustrator and made a large number of maps in the program. Over 130 detailed dungeon/battle maps the last year.

Its a bit complicated compared to photoshop but quite rewarding.

Many cartographers use a vector program in the start of a project but I tend to use Ilkustrator from start to finish.

Some quick comments:
    Vector maps can be enlarged to any size.
    Illustrator has got very powerful things you can do with object fills and object strokes.
    Has some very nice brush effects suitable for maps that Photoshop cant do.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

While I don't use Illustrator (nor Photoshop beyond color adjustment and more rarely image alteration), I also use a vector application with Xara Designer Pro x11, but like Carnifex, I use this vector app exclusively for all my map projects, created entirely in Xara and nothing else - well sometimes I use 3D applications for specific map content that is difficult to depict in 2D only format. However, for those that do use Photoshop for most of their mapping, Illustrator (like any vector application) has far better text manipulation than the terrible text properties of Photoshop. Many PS map designers use Illustrator for all the text labeling, creating fancy borders, and for regional world maps for creating rivers that are tapered lines that start as 2 or 4 point lines that diminish to a single point at the opposite end, creating much more realistic river representation than what Photoshop can provide. Many cartographers use more than one application to fully create their map art.

One consideration though, many people assume that vector maps have a distinctively vector appearance, and that is simply not the case. Many people assume I'm using Photoshop in my maps because of the painterly style in how they appear, but as stated most of my maps are entirely created in vector using Xara Designer Pro. In truth, as a traditional artist, I prefer to draw and hate to paint. To me, using image editors like Photoshop or GIMP is more like painting, whereas using vector is more like a drawing. Hence my preference with using vector applications.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-25-2016 at 05:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Thanks for the great replies! I'm currently scooting round to find map making illustrator specific tutorials

Name:  TINKS - Icon.png
Views: 122
Size:  634 Bytes I know Adobe Illustrator (Ai) inside out, though the usage so far that I have found for it is to add elements upon a plain map. Things such as symbols, names, and passageways, to name a few.

As mentioned above, Ai creating vector files can be scaled to any size. This is beneficial when scaling portions of maps as the images are made with mathematics over pixels. The downside would be that it is extremely difficult to get photo realistic results in a vector image. If you need certain help with Ai, let me know.