Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Blog Entries

Let me see if I can reply now...

Blog Entries

Lets try again.

Ok so this forum is not working properly. This message is a reply to the post below. Its like I am a time traveller replying to threads which havent happened yet !

EDIT: Ahh now I understand. J.E has managed to post the following post after this one 5 minutes into the future, so I cant reply to it after it...

Anyway....

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I'll have to check the zoomy map soon then - will it be a zoom in or a linked map?
    I haven't put anything on the site specially yet. I did put your regional map in and the town into viewingdale so that it merges into the guild world. I noticed that the version of the land image I used on my app was not your full res version you uploaded which was more like 6000 sqr. So it shows a bit blocky on the zoomy map right now compared with how it could look if I did use the full res version.

Then I put in the city of Poh and scaled it correctly (by assumptions about road widths and possible sizes of buildings etc - I didn't spot a scale on the image). But even allowing for a bit of error, it becomes very small indeed on your land map. So much so that if I were to do a full zoomy map of just your land then Poh would still only be a pixel or two. So its not worth making a special zoomy map for your land yet and it would be better to put in a link to the post of the city. The problem with that tho is that if you do zoom from the whole of guild world down to your land and down to the name where the city is then that name is unreadable. Because your map is 6000 pixels it is a lot smaller than 6000 / 16000 as a fraction of the world by area.

Gotta ask... is your native land image res about 6000 or do you scale down for the guild ? If either the land (or the city of Poh) were higher then it would work out better. If you map at 10000+ pixel images and scale down (and you wanted me to use that image) then it would be a no brainer. All the detail would then be readable and it would be worth doing the zoomy map of just your land and then incorporate Poh as an additional zoomy map linked to it.

Assuming 6000 odd is your native res, if you did a regional map that was just the area around Nehue and those four cities which include Poh then it would be worth doing the zoom map as then you would have crisper image at full zoom around them even if the rest of the map went blocky at full zoom. Then Poh would sit into that better and it would work out. But you should check the scale of your city against the land scale in meters per pixel and see if you agree with me that it is comparatively very small - or rather the land is so awfully large. Its like a smallish town in a land the size of Africa.

Not sure what to do...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-14-2016 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Just amazing, every map you make is better than the previous one of the same style. You are the best example of an artist 'evolution' here. Just amazing man
    That is an awesome compliment Barek. Thank you
    I try to keep pushing and trying new things.
    I have work at it to keep up with all the talent here on the Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Wow! This is such a nice piece. The layout is fantastic, and I love all of the detail here. The variance in line weight also is expertly done. Another one for my inspiration folder. Love it.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh. I'm trying to be more thoughtful regarding line weight. I've found it helpful to do some of the work zoomed out to 50% view to get some thicker heavier lines in there.
    It seems to be helping to get the variance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This is another awesome map. I said the same thing last time but its worth repeating... Theres always such a fantastic amount of thought gone into the workings of your towns. Its as though each building has its place and purpose and the tracks have a meaning to them. Its not like a splatter of houses or like some cities where you get neat blocks of a certain type and then next to it uniform blocks of a different type. You always get the feeling that these cities have evolved and worked to become the layout they show. Its much more believable than other peoples city maps - at least to me.

Now I gotta figure out how to get this into the overall Guild World zoomy map...
    Thanks Redrobes. I do often think at the level of individual buildings - what should this be and who would live here.
    That's part of the fun for me with cities - imagining those little details, trying to walk through the city in my mind and wander the streets as if I was there.
    It makes fantasy maps so much fun for me, though still a lot of work.
    I'll have to check the zoomy map soon then - will it be a zoom in or a linked map?
    Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    What more can we keep saying about these? I'll have to get out my thesaurus. Thanks again for inspiring work!

More words related to incredible
    amazing
    astonishing
    awesome
    fascinating
    incredible
    marvelous
    prodigious
    shocking
    stunning
    surprising
    unbelievable
    wonderful
    Haha, thanks snodsy. No need to say it but much appreciated all the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Crazy ! You have the mean to inspired great story behind all those linedraws. I mean i can imagine people living in this city, and it's amazing you can do this with only black and white map without artifice. Chapeau bas, maestro. I love it.
    Thanks Warlin. Merci beaucoup mon ami
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is gorgeous! Basically everything Snodsy said in his list.

Your linework is just incredible, and I shudder to think of how long it must have taken to create this. I'm getting phantom sympathy pains in my hand just thinking about it!

You continue to impress and inspire, J. Thank you!
    Thanks ChickPea You know it's my pleasure to do these maps. I'm just glad they're appreciated.
    This one did take a lot longer than was planned. I was originally going to do a small town... but it got out of control and just kept getting bigger.
    I think I spent about a week or so on this one, off and on. But the style is from the map where I finally achieved the one-day city.
    That map hasn't been posted, but this syle has proven to be a much faster way to produce a good and detailed city map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Breathtaking, amazing and so detailed (in that order) ! You never cease to surprise me with this kind of wonderful gigantic map...
    And yeah, I fully agree with ChickPea about your linework. I would have gone mad if I tried so much details
    Thanks Ilanthar I sometimes curse at myself for adding in certain things, because then I have to do them all over a map since I added them to one part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    What snodsy said!

This is seriously.. amazing. I'm staring in awe at the details and all the houses. Wow.

The city layout is really awesome too! This is a fantastic addition to the Guild World (and your portfolio)
    Thanks Josiah I'm hoping to add some more locations to Guildworld.
    I have an idea for a really cool addition, but I'm not going to talk about that one until I'm sure I'll have time to do it.

Blog Entries

See post #164...

Quantum time fluctuation has passed the post time. Yeah - don't ask me I havent a clue.

It all makes sense how J.E is so good at mapping. He is from the future !

See post #164...

Quantum time fluctuation has passed the post time. Yeah - don't ask me I havent a clue.

It all makes sense how J.E is so good at mapping. He is from the future !
    Shhh - no one is supposed to know that. You'll get my time traveler privileges revoked.
    I'll check the res and get back to you.

Edit - I just checked - map is around 6k pixels, which is larger than most of the Guildworld maps, I think.
    Guildworld is a rather large world and each country is a bit over sized. But I checked on the scale of things and it seems accurate.
    The distance between Poh and Kueh is about 25 miles, based on the scale we're all using.
    So yes, it would appear incredibly small on the larger Nahadua map. The rivers obviously can not be shown accurately on a map of this scale, as most rivers would not even be visible at such small sizes.
    I do have a scale I used for the Poh map but I didn't include it in the final image.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 06-14-2016 at 04:21 PM.

Blog Entries

I'll see if I can upload an 8K one for the land and have links to the city maps then.

I'll see if I can upload an 8K one for the land and have links to the city maps then.
    I am thinking of trying to get a region map for that area and maybe do another one or a few more town/city maps also.
    So if that would change things, maybe wait for that - which ever will be most convenient for you.
    Time will dictate my progress there.

Blog Entries

Oh ! Well, maybe that just might change things then ! I do love those regions down to cities. Exciting times in the lands of Nahadua !!!

I'm repeatedly stunned by the beauties you give to this community ! I won't even start talking about the line work which is pristine. I'm especially amazed by the variety of name you're able to come up with. Your approach of the cities by imagining who lives here and all is a demiurgic one so, I guess we have to finally accept it : you are a cartographer god, period.
    Thanks for this marvel !

Thomas

Glad i found this gem of a map again after i stumbled upon it the other day and forgot to comment instantly due to the paralysis Man what can i say, i'm mindblown as many others here. I can only echo Redrobes, that i'ts wonderful to see the life you breathe into your works. The layout with the irrigation systems (and the description of it) is such a fantastic and inspiring idea. It's also great to see a more chaotic style of town compared to the rather neat ones you did lately. A shame i can't rep you for this map atm, but i bet there'll be other chances to rep you
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast