Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cadurca (temporary name) WIP

I decided to go back to black&white to see more clearly what's missing and to rework the shadows on the mountains. Here's a GIF of the flow... Yes I'm stalling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	output_5rr7f7.gif 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.00 MB 
ID:	83297

Wip

Ok, I haven't had much time to spend on maps this past week but I'm resurrecting an oldie.

My sister came to visit this week-end and she asked me for a nice reddish sat picture (she nows I follow the astronaut Thomas Pesquet on twitter). I thought about this map and decided to tweak it to suit her needs. Here's the result with a quick (20 minutes) try. I think I'll go further in this direction and finally finish the map.

Name:	Cadurca redux.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	95275

As usual, tell me what you think.

Wow, bloody good Looks really nice, would just blur or reduce the opacity of lay lines since they shine a bit too much for me.

Cheers,
    Barek
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Wow! That's definitely an ocean of wine! When can we colonize, did you say?

I think it might go a bit better with the land if the land was a more goldenish-brownish colour something similar to the colours of the mountains, and the more brownish right hand side of your signature banner? (the bit you see if you cover the diagonal bottom left hand corner of the banner with your hand)

I don't know. To me it seems a bit of a colour clash with the sage green at the moment, but that might just be me.

Really glad you took this map up again (and even deepened the red) Thomas! In my view the colour contrast is very appealing, though i somewhat agree with Barek on the rhumb/ lay(?) lines. Btw. i think this map was the one where the river/ canopy issue occured
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Wow, bloody good
    Hahah, I see what you did there! ;P

This map is really great Thomas! The red really does its job; as soon as I saw the thumbnail I was intrigued by it! Looking closer at it I can help but think that you did an amazing job on the shading! Both for forests, mountains and terrain. To comment on what Mouse said, I think it's actually nice how heavily the green and red tones clash.

Very nice one Thomas!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I join Mouse : for me the difference between the sea and the land is too big... It might help if you tweak all the greens in something closer to red ?

I would also join with Mouse & Jo about changing the land colour a little. The red sea is so dramatic and I feel the land areas need to be a little less, well, conventionally coloured to make them hold their own against it. Right now, it sorta feels like two different maps stuck together. I like unusual colours in maps and seeing what people come up with when they step away from the usual blue/green tones, but here it feels like one half is experimental and the other is more regular (though beautifully drawn and coloured, of course). That's my tuppence worth, for what it's worth.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wip

First of all, thanks a lot to you all for caring for this old thing

Quote Originally Posted by Barek333 View Post
    Wow, bloody good Looks really nice, would just blur or reduce the opacity of lay lines since they shine a bit too much for me.

Cheers,
    Barek
    Thanks Barek, I changed my second rhumb layer from overlay to soft light, I think it does the trick as I still want them to flash a little bit (and my sister was pretty enthusiastic for the flashy rhumbs).

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Wow! That's definitely an ocean of wine! When can we colonize, did you say?

I think it might go a bit better with the land if the land was a more goldenish-brownish colour something similar to the colours of the mountains, and the more brownish right hand side of your signature banner? (the bit you see if you cover the diagonal bottom left hand corner of the banner with your hand)

I don't know. To me it seems a bit of a colour clash with the sage green at the moment, but that might just be me.
    Dive in ! The fast might remind you of vinegared eels but salty wines were a hype among romans back in the days
    I tried a solution by just removing the light green and keeping the canvas color. You tell me what it looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Really glad you took this map up again (and even deepened the red) Thomas! In my view the colour contrast is very appealing, though i somewhat agree with Barek on the rhumb/ lay(?) lines. Btw. i think this map was the one where the river/ canopy issue occured
    Thanks Martin I still love my Frankenstein's covered rivers, those scars in the forests. Let's hope I do them better these days. I reduced the vividness of the rhumbs a wee bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Hahah, I see what you did there! ;P

This map is really great Thomas! The red really does its job; as soon as I saw the thumbnail I was intrigued by it! Looking closer at it I can help but think that you did an amazing job on the shading! Both for forests, mountains and terrain. To comment on what Mouse said, I think it's actually nice how heavily the green and red tones clash.

Very nice one Thomas!
    Thanks a lot Daniel ! I'm glad you like it. I tried Mouse way for the land, you tell me if it's better or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I join Mouse : for me the difference between the sea and the land is too big... It might help if you tweak all the greens in something closer to red ?
    Thanks Joel I did not go for red but just plain canvas color, dunno if that does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I would also join with Mouse & Jo about changing the land colour a little. The red sea is so dramatic and I feel the land areas need to be a little less, well, conventionally coloured to make them hold their own against it. Right now, it sorta feels like two different maps stuck together. I like unusual colours in maps and seeing what people come up with when they step away from the usual blue/green tones, but here it feels like one half is experimental and the other is more regular (though beautifully drawn and coloured, of course). That's my tuppence worth, for what it's worth.
    Thanks CP Reading your comment, I made some changes. Hills are darker, river is of a lighter red, marshland is more red than green (which is logical) and the forests went from a classic green to a blue green reminding me of some kind of "vert de gris". Tell me what you think of it.

Name:	Cadurca4.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	95336

Wip

I guess the cartography part is done. Next, some clanic illustrations and labels.

Name:	Cadurca final small.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	95384
    Last edited by ThomasR; 05-03-2017 at 01:25 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast