Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The world of Anonyma II (for lack of a better name) WIP

Wip The world of Anonyma II (for lack of a better name) WIP

Hi fellow guildmates,

Here comes the second WIP of the day. It’s for a world map, a follow up on this map (you’ll see it in the top left corner) and posting the WIP will help me not blow my deadlines.

I decided to go for an equirectangular map after doing some research and rediscovering Ilanthar’s fabulous maps. I’ll also show globe versions of the world on the map as insets. The original file is 39,6 x 79,2 cm at 300 dpi and I think I’ll have to expand the canvas to give it the border (with the insets globes) it deserves.

I started from the client’s sketch and had to modify the positions of the landmasses to get the feeling I wanted. I also added some islands around the existing continents and some isolated islands in the north and a polynesian like archipelago in the bottom left quadrant.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	159.8 KB 
ID:	100822 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Samuel 2 prop small.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	719.4 KB 
ID:	100823

Name:	0'small.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	589.6 KB 
ID:	100824 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1small.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	641.3 KB 
ID:	100825

At first I went with my usual coastal waves but it did not work to me so I decided to go for a heavily shaded ocean. As there are many islands, I drew lots of shallow waters that give a more dynamic impression.

Name:	3small.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	100826

I changed the color of the ocean and reworked the highlights a little bit and I’m at the stage where I drew the primary ridges of the mountain chains (and drawing the ones from the rotated original map was a little bit unsettling).

Name:	5small.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	100827

As usual, feel free to critic and comment, every feedback will be useful.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Whoah. I like that! Very unusual world design, we need more off-the-wall planets like this!

As far as my critiques, I like the look of the second version, with the shallow waters, etc., but I like the color scheme of the first, darker one, much better.

And the rotating globes look great - that's a really good tool to see if your biomes are in the right places, I bet...

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Whoah. I like that! Very unusual world design, we need more off-the-wall planets like this!

As far as my critiques, I like the look of the second version, with the shallow waters, etc., but I like the color scheme of the first, darker one, much better.

And the rotating globes look great - that's a really good tool to see if your biomes are in the right places, I bet...
    Thanks Diamond !

The reason why I lightened the color is because of the globe thing. It looked more "natural" with that more vivid hue. I'll have to keep this in mind and try again with the added highlights along the shores, thanks.

About the biomes, I hit a bump in the road. The planet has a wonky biome system due to the gods playing with it's tilt. The client said it's 45° and this does not match the biomes indicated by the client. 45 ° means classic biomes but with harsher winters and summers which would almost prevent the happening of life on the planet. I decided that "it's the gods" was a good explanation for the wonky biomes and you can see what it'll look like on the image below. I did some modifications to add cold biomes near the poles and pumpkin means eternal fall, hence the orange trees on the original map.

Name:	climates.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	636.8 KB 
ID:	100845

Very interesting project Thomas. Looking fantastic so far! Love the shape of the land and i also like the darker version a tad better colourwise. Keep up the fantastic work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Martin I'll see what I can do about it during next week. I wanna see what it looks like too but the day has been full of mountains and trees so, I'll go to bed

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Thanks Martin I'll see what I can do about it during next week. I wanna see what it looks like too but the day has been full of mountains and trees so, I'll go to bed
    Haha, you really earned your sleep, and take good care of your wrists, there are so many more of them to draw! XD
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

The classic climate almost made me laugh. It made me remember a joke about cats: my cat is a standard/classic model.
    Pumpkin...
    I guess it's a temperate cat then.

The climates look like if the planet was tidal locked. One pole centred on the tropical forest and the other pole being the whole outer rectangle.
    That would be a strange map projection.

On another topic the map looks pretty good. The colours in the water are nice but maybe a little strong/dark to my taste. I think they might distract from the mainland unless the land is dark too.

So, this is your equirectangular map... it was past time you do one For the pleasure of map projections !

Really nice land shapes already. I also had a good laugh with the Pumpkin climate... and hope Azelor is right : a place where it always look like halloween time is not very attractive imo!

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    The classic climate almost made me laugh. It made me remember a joke about cats: my cat is a standard/classic model.
    Pumpkin...
    I guess it's a temperate cat then.

The climates look like if the planet was tidal locked. One pole centred on the tropical forest and the other pole being the whole outer rectangle.
    That would be a strange map projection.

On another topic the map looks pretty good. The colours in the water are nice but maybe a little strong/dark to my taste. I think they might distract from the mainland unless the land is dark too.
    Yeah, I realize how simple minded it sounds Classic refers to "classic D&D setting" which is temperate indeed. Pumpkin is how the client described his perpetual fall tree color so I went with the flow

The position of the planet was a pain in the a$$ to start so, after a little research, I decided to let go and rework the biomes minimally to keep some cold settings near the poles and let magic explain the rest.

About the ocean, you're probably right but I'll see that in the end. For now, it looks pretty rad, doesn't it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    So, this is your equirectangular map... it was past time you do one For the pleasure of map projections !

Really nice land shapes already. I also had a good laugh with the Pumpkin climate... and hope Azelor is right : a place where it always look like halloween time is not very attractive imo!
    Mes plus plates exsssssscuses pour ce retard déplorable Ô mon bon maîîîîître (pleaze accept my deepest apologiez for this louzy delay Ô my benevolent mazter) !

My projection is not very good as the polar features should be more flat but it's a first and works well enough in globe form.

Here is a little update with a rift and forest placements.

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	100972

And the globe that comes with it here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast