Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloodrock

Default Bloodrock

This map has a somewhat convoluted history. It briefly appeared in the October/November Lite Challenge, but was withdrawn for reasons I cover in the first post of the WIP thread - Bloodrock Revived.

The challenge specified a map of the underworld, so this is my take on the underworld - a place that to the 4 year old me existed beneath the thick glass panes of every pavement skylight, and probably extended through all the drains as far as they went in a giant underworld metropolis full of unusual land forms and tiny people.

The town itself is named Bloodrock - not for any other reason than that is the name I gave the main background texture.

All the textures used in this map were created in Genetica. The trees are composite renders of tree models done in Vue, and the houses are part of Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer City Designer symbol set. The map was drawn in Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus (CC3+).

A big thank you to all of you who helped me with this project, both 'on stage' in the two threads in which this map was developed, and by all the encouragement behind the scenes...

Enjoy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bloodrock FINAL.JPG 
Views:	383 
Size:	5.08 MB 
ID:	89658
    Last edited by Mouse; 11-22-2016 at 07:01 PM.

Wow, it took me sooo long to find out what is up with that "frame" One can see a great progress with the drain/frame through the different versions and i like the idea with the brick texture since it makes the depth much more obvious. But to the map "itself"... the colour palette has a nice warm touch and the whole arrangement of town and landscape looks fantastic. The underground folks have quite a lovely place there!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu It took a long time for me to figure it out. I went all over the place in all kinds of different directions. It would be true to say that the drain surround took longer to sort out than the rest of the map! LOL!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nice job on this Mouse. It's certainly had a rocky journey, but it's great to see the finished piece. As I said in the WIP, I love the autumnal colours especially!

Your hard work has paid off and you should be proud of it (especially the drain! )

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    The underground folks have quite a lovely place there!
    Haha, I think most would complain about living down a drain, but not these guys!

Good job Mouse - you're the first person I know who can say "A month's hard work down the drain" in a positive manner That is something that should go on a CV in my opinion

I like this and the concept, it has me thinking about possible stories that could go on down there. I bet there's some gossiping going on over back fences. Probably about the woman in number 6 who still has last week's diesel spillage on her lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Nice job on this Mouse. It's certainly had a rocky journey, but it's great to see the finished piece. As I said in the WIP, I love the autumnal colours especially!

Your hard work has paid off and you should be proud of it (especially the drain! )

Haha, I think most would complain about living down a drain, but not these guys!
    Thanks GLS

I just wish I could remember the rest of the stuff I used to believe in when I was a child. I would have hundreds of maps just waiting to be drawn if I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Good job Mouse - you're the first person I know who can say "A month's hard work down the drain" in a positive manner That is something that should go on a CV in my opinion

I like this and the concept, it has me thinking about possible stories that could go on down there. I bet there's some gossiping going on over back fences. Probably about the woman in number 6 who still has last week's diesel spillage on her lawn!
    Oh Straf. Where would we be without your sense of humour?

Thank you

Great job with this one Mouse. I already told you i like the map.
    You did some nice effect here. The brick in the frame that shrinks (perspective) and bright/dark texture on it make it feel like there is a motion. Because of that, when i look at the whole map i get impression like i am falling from sky into the Bloodrock. Don't know if this was intentional, but its great effect

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great job with this one Mouse. I already told you i like the map.
    You did some nice effect here. The brick in the frame that shrinks (perspective) and bright/dark texture on it make it feel like there is a motion. Because of that, when i look at the whole map i get impression like i am falling from sky into the Bloodrock. Don't know if this was intentional, but its great effect
    Thanks Voolf

I really didn't mean to give anyone vertigo, but I had to do something about the depth perception! LOL! I think I may just have gone a bit overboard by adding the vertical stains to the brickwork before I morphed the fill in Photopaint to create the perspective by moving the bottom corners closer together to create a 45 degree 'mitre' angle. Its relatively easy to do with a relatively simple image processor

I like the autumn color scheme here. The foam along the waterline was a great touch as well.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Aw - Thanks Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast