So i've chosen to make models for structures to use as location icons.
The first one I've started on is a medieval-style house/cottage, since it's the structure that will find it's way in most of the icon representations of towns on the map.

The advantage of creating the various structures as 3d objects is that once created, i can quickly edit the parts it is made up of to make a ton of variations on the same type of structure.
I can shift around,duplicate, or even hide entirely the various parts like the doors, windows, roof tiles, basement hatch and shack.

I wasn't able to work on this yesterday, but i spend a good part of my Saturday getting it to where it is now. Keep in mind i still need to assign materials/textures to the various parts, which is why it still appears in greyscale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D58n1Pz.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	383.9 KB 
ID:	82878

You might think that I've gone a bit ham on the detailing as a lot of it will be lost with the small size the icons will end up being, but i did this on purpose so the icons can be used in future projects as well.
It's something that is a long way off still - but making an actual 3D representation of a fantasy town map is something i am interested in doing eventually.

This list is more of a placeholder for myself to keep track of my progress and plans, but i did include some background info on what i need the various parts for.

modeling TO DO:

Houses :
- Stone ramshackle house - current WIP
- Thatched roof variant.
- L-shaped stone house
-'ruined' house - for use in the ruins to the north

Tower - one design to spice up some of the larger towns, and 2-3 of elvish design. (In the setting the map is for, the Elven races live in towns surrounding their spires - each spire having a different theme of autumn/winter/moon, etc.)

Castle/Fort - 2 stone castle variations - one for use in the capitol Talis'val , 1 for the city of greybelt. 1 stone fort variation, 1 Dwarven style Fort/city variant.
(Interchangeable for the most part in style, once i have the parts for one i should be able to rearrange them to quickly build the other. However, i also need to create a 'Dwarven' mountain fortress - the city of Aramount is a dwarven fortified city, built into the mountain. not sure on what to go for stylistically to indicate the dwarven origin of the structure yet.)

Dock/Ship (the capitol and 2 of the other cities are near the sea, and would have docks. i intend to reflect this by having a dock/ship included in the representation for those towns.)

Wall elements (many of these towns have a wooden or stone palisade. i'm planning ot creating a few pieces of wall which i can combine in my desired shapes.)