Thread: Plausible Distances & Populations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post It really is about scale.

A word on Fractal Terrains

FT is a wonderful program. It generates a random globe and lets you cut it up for your gaming.

Unfortunately, in order to scale to the whole globe in reasonable time with reasonable computer resources it doesn't do every available bit of land.

This selection is a tiny, tiny part of the world I generated. The red square in the middle of the globe (see attached) entirely covers my blank map. I'm adding detail to an infinitesimal bit of game world - but at least I know where it goes. Some day I wish there would be a way to modify regions and paste them back into FT, or another global program. As it is, I keep directories based on continent and locations on a modified google earth.
    The ideal solution for me would let each detail build on the previous ones without having to tear anything down to do it. These simulations have so much detail that you can never add it all at once.

Anyone familiar with the Harn game system and world? I think they have a wonderful model. Everyone shares a world that has a history but stops background development on a given date. You can add all the depth you want but don't step on other efforts and don't move the world into the plot. If you have earth shaping events plan them after the given date. I think that frees up world design to be descriptive but not reactive or mutually disruptive. It maximizes people's efforts and encourages people to spread out and develop new areas.

On the first globe, the Red Dot towards the center of the globe covers my whole 'blank map'.

I think its pretty amazing you can go from orbit down to a selection 60 km high. When you get there though you have to add, or generate, some land detail if you want to approximate the new scale.

Lastly, for those involved in the Cartographers Guild World project, one of the mapping squares with an appropriately sized Herefordshire. (Look in the far South East by the scale and compass. No thats not a lake, its a whole shire! As you can see there is a lot of room in one of those squares .

Accuracy - Trying my best.

Other than the stats from my sample map (for which I have FT to thank) the rest of the scales have been set mostly by eyeball. I'd be surprised however if they're more than 10% off. The biggest source of inaccuracy is probably the shape of screen pixels which are wider than tall.

If anyone spots an error or has something to add they're welcome to speak up.

Sigurd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Loln-Globe.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	7674   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hereford-Mapping-Project.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	312.0 KB 
ID:	7675   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goog Earth00000.bmp 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	7677   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goog Earth00001.bmp 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	7678  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-11-2008 at 11:08 AM.