Thread: [GIMP Plug-in] Render a Planet or Moon

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post [GIMP Plug-in] Render a Planet or Moon

Beta Release 0.8

Ok so here is the render planet script. It aint complete by now cause I didnt find time to add shadow/light but the script allready renders a nice planet (at least imo).

I will add the shadow/light thing as soon as possible, but I decided to post the script now to get some feedback. I'd like to know how you like the script and what could be improved. The shadow/light thing wont change much in the end so tell me now what you dont like

The script itself is pretty much sell-explanatory so go ahead and render some planets I suggest using a black background layer for better results or even better a starfield. You would find my starfield script here.

Be warned that if you have a slow comp, this could take a bit. In addition please be sure to have the image about twice as big as the planet you want to render, because the planet is rendered twice the size you enter and scaled down for better results and I simply havent tested what happens if you dont do this. Though I guess the rendered planet could end up outside the image. This will be taken care of in the next release.

Again, please be aware that this is a beta release

If you choose to use a texture be sure that it is either seemless or the texture is twice the planet size you want to render.

You find the script in your Filters Menu at Sci-Fi/Add planet or moon. If you do not see the script, please read here, what you have to do.

Attached is an image with 3 rendered planets: Top left is a texture with an atmosphere, bottom left is without a custom texture and an atmosphere and the right one is a 'earth type' planet including an atmosphere and clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example with 3 planets.png 
Views:	1593 
Size:	700.7 KB 
ID:	7840  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.