Thread: Hello All!

Default Hello All!

Hi everyone, I seem to have found this forum by accident while I was doing some research, but I'm very happy to have found it.
    I'm actually a fantasy writer steadily working my way to being published, and while I've experimented with mapmaking I've never really delved into it. I want to learn how to create maps digitally so I'm not constantly hand drawing everything and making insane calculations in my head, and I decided here was as good a place as any to learn.
    What else is there to say, hmm...I love writing and I love making maps for the worlds I dream up in my head. Maps make these places feel so real to me, and it never occurred to me to let anyone else design a map for me. A map is something special for me, and I feel like I'm putting my best foot forward in my world if I draw my own maps, so....yeah.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the Cartographers' Guild! As a fantasy writer who wants to learn a thing or two about digital mapmaking, you found the right place indeed, and seem to be in good company here. A good orientation to get things started is the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping by Ravells. Also make sure to browse the Tutorial Section. Don't hesitate to "jump in the cold water" and post a map you're working on if you like. There are always many helpful and friendly people around to give feedback and advice.
    Cheers,
    AL
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 07-14-2016 at 08:24 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter