Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Old Kingdom

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Default The Old Kingdom

Here's a look at my new map of the Old Kingdom, featured in Garth Nix's upcoming novel ‪Goldenhand‬, the most recent in the Abhorsen series published by HarperCollins.
    The book's release date is October 11th but Garth shared it early so I'm showing it off and making prints available now through my web store.

I love working on traditional end sheet maps and this one (the second I've done for the series) was a joy. Let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TheOldKingdom_Small.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	673.9 KB 
ID:	85836

Always beautiful work Mike. Very inspirational.
    Glad to see you posting new work here.
    Love the rift and the forests.
    Only qualm, which happens to me as well, is that all the line work can make it hard to tell the sort of terrain that is being conveyed.
    That said, I love your line work, so can't really complain.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Only qualm, which happens to me as well, is that all the line work can make it hard to tell the sort of terrain that is being conveyed.
    Thanks for the kind words & constructive crit. Sometimes I get a bit consumed by the detail to the point that an almost pointillist aesthetic begins obscuring the information conveyed. It's a tough task that I need to think about more in future projects.

You maintain a fairly good balance with it.
    It isn't something that comes up all the time with your line work pieces.
    And I understand that as well - close in on a piece, I can get more detail in there than may be needed sometimes.

The pointilist aesthetic is what i (and many other people i guess...) love your work for! Although i see John's point, even on the rather poor photography of the printed version on Garth Nix' FB site the map is still quite readable. Thanks a lot for sharing this wonderful piece with us.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

What an honor it is to be able to comment on one of your maps! If I may introduce myself, I'm LadieStorm (or Storm for short), and I'm a cc3+ user, so I recognize your style . I've had a lot of fun with it on one of my own maps!

As for this one, I must say I'm in jaw dropping awe! The detail that you put into this mind boggling, but I wouldn't change a thing! I especially love the way you connect your rivers with the shore line...I've started doing this, lately, to make the transition look more realistic. Your cliffs look awesome, and I LOVE your sea monsters (apparently, I'm partial to them )

I could continue, but I don't want to turn into a raving lunatic . Just a truly inspiring map!

I do have one question, and this is just because I'm annoyingly curious, but the little symbols in your border... I noticed that they are all similar, but different. Is there a hidden meaning there?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

The only spot where the detail is really problematic is just north of the wall and south of High Bridge. The labels of the points of interest are a bit hard to make out there.

But that's not your fault, I think -- it's a natural outgrowth of the plot progression of the Abhorsen series, combined with space limitations imposed by the topography. A lot of the significant things happened in that area in the first three books, so there's a lot to label, and a comparatively small space to do it in.

I've always kind of wished that Garth Nix hadn't so transparently modeled his kingdoms after Britain. Ancelstierre = England, The Old Kingdom = Scotland, the Wall = Hadrian's Wall. I mean, there's nothing wrong with that particularly, and much of the flavor of the series revolves around having a comparatively sharp dividing line between Magic in the North and Technology in the South. It's just a pet peeve of mine when authors build worlds which juuuust happen to share the same basic shape as the real world. And not even an entirely rational pet peeve at that. Pay me no mind!

I just really like it. Mountains, rifts, forests and all - its one of those maps you can just pour over for hours

I think it looks great. I didn't realise there was a new book in the series coming out - I'll have to pick it up.

wdmartin: I vaguely recall an interview where he said his inspiration for the wall literally was Hadrian's Wall, and when he saw it, there was still snowfall on the north side but not on the south. Which is why the seasons are different between the two countries in the books.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

You Schley me, Mike. You really do. Love the map!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast