Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Haldeshar

Map Haldeshar

I was wanting to do something water colorish and also do some more pencil drawing lately, so I did this one.
    The whole thing was a large pencil drawing that I then scanned and pulled into PS to do color and text.
    There's not really any backstory with this one, as it was a sort of rushed thing.
    About 4-5 hours on the pencil work, maybe another 6-10 on the color and labeling.
    The original drawing was on 11x17 charcoal paper with an HB pencil.
    The charcoal paper has a really nice texture for drawing on.
    Anyways, back to work for me. I have been a bit busy with work lately so have been a bit AWOL.
    Hopefully I can get back around a bit more soon. Cheers, J

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Haldeshar [edit] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	1095 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	87606
    Last edited by J.Edward; 09-14-2016 at 10:13 AM.

Oh that's another really beautiful map - already!!! (but I expect you will make it totally excellent before you've finished)

I particularly like the frame, and the way that the clouds and the town on the hill break the top of it.

Thanks for sharing it with us

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh that's another really beautiful map - already!!! (but I expect you will make it totally excellent before you've finished)

I particularly like the frame, and the way that the clouds and the town on the hill break the top of it.

Thanks for sharing it with us
    Thank you Mouse.
    Don't want to embarrass or anything, but it is finished... hence the placement in Finished Maps
    But.. if you see something you think could be improved, let me know. I may still make a change, though done.

Ooooh... LOL!!!

Well, there you go - I'm rendering a thousand trees at the moment, and clearly not paying attention, but I still love it

EDIT: and no - I can't see a thing that could have been done better

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Ooooh... LOL!!!

Well, there you go - I'm rendering a thousand trees at the moment, and clearly not paying attention, but I still love it

EDIT: and no - I can't see a thing that could have been done better
    No worries Mouse

It's amazing to see how you handle so many different styles with ease John, while always keeping your own thumbprint. I love the subtle coloring and the neatless transition from the map to the illustration of castle shadir. The other elements like the border and the compass are top notch (as usual). Again, thanks for sharing such an awe-inspiring piece!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

You call this finished?!

No just joking! Another great piece John, as always. Some labels are not really consistent though. One label says 'Lands of' smaller than the name, another has the whole label at the same size, another one says 'Land' instead of 'Lands' and then there are some that are just names. Maybe that is intentional, if just ignore what I said ;p Oh, and there in the icon in the top left that doesn't have a label ;p

Otherwise this map looks great!

-Dan

Mouse - got to say thanks... your comment got me looking closer at the map, and i realized I'd missed 2 place names.
    So cheers and thanks for that. I will upload that fixed image after the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    It's amazing to see how you handle so many different styles with ease John, while always keeping your own thumbprint. I love the subtle coloring and the neatless transition from the map to the illustration of castle shadir. The other elements like the border and the compass are top notch (as usual). Again, thanks for sharing such an awe-inspiring piece!
    Thanks Abu. Sap is one of the inspirations that keeps me trying new stuff - he has always done all sorts of interesting new things.
    Keeps me on my toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Excellent as usual!
    Thank you Sap
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    You call this finished?!

No just joking! Another great piece John, as always. Some labels are not really consistent though. One label says 'Lands of' smaller than the name, another has the whole label at the same size, another one says 'Land' instead of 'Lands' and then there are some that are just names. Maybe that is intentional, if just ignore what I said ;p Oh, and there in the icon in the top left that doesn't have a label ;p

Otherwise this map looks great!
    -Dan
    Thanks and nice catch Dan I was just about to upload a new fixed version.
    I do some variation in labeling due to it's placement at times.
    In terms of 'Lands' versus 'Land' that is more a conceptual thing.
    Land denotes a place with a set boundary, while Lands sort of speaks to a more general area that is not so defined.
    The ones with neither Land or Lands are just normal kingdoms or countries.
    When I use 'Land' or 'Lands of' it usually means that it is not a set political area - no set overall ruler and such.
    With Lands of Nohl... it just did not look right at the same size and was distracting too much from the terrain up there.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 09-14-2016 at 10:16 AM.

Purty map, me like! ( I try not to get to technical )

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast