Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Navigating a New England Harbor

Great map Snodsy! My son used to live in Marblehead and I've been to Fort Sewall and out on Brown Island. Very beautiful there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great map Snodsy! My son used to live in Marblehead and I've been to Fort Sewall and out on Brown Island. Very beautiful there.
    My friend lives there too and we always troll over to Brown Island and then along the coast, beautiful area.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I really like this Snodsy, as always, great job.
    Thanks Kacey appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    This map looks great, snodsy! Only nitpick would be the Marblehead Bay label, which is over the border of the map. Also the rhumblines seem a little groovy under the compass, but that's only when zoomed in. Great work, though!

Thanks Daniel, I've fixed the rhumbline issue. I'll look at placement for Marblehead Bay, thanks for your comment.

-Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Looks fantastic Snodsy!

Only thing I just noticed is that the compass rose doesn't quite line up with the rhumbs. Though unfortunately because rhumb lines are always a right pain, it doesn't look like it going to be a easy shift.

Got it, thanks fixing it.

It's only small though, so you can probably ignore it if you want.

A WIP?

This is beautiful enough as-is that I want to print it, frame it, and stare at it forever!

Oh, i thought i had already commented on this map, but i think it was only in my head so far.^^ I love how you depicted the coastal town and the transparent look of your waters always fascinates me! Your works are a like impressionist paintings to me. Zoomed in, the linework looks sometimes a bit rushed and jittered, but zoomed out everything comes together to a wonderful harmonious whole
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Oh, i thought i had already commented on this map, but i think it was only in my head so far.^^ I love how you depicted the coastal town and the transparent look of your waters always fascinates me! Your works are a like impressionist paintings to me. Zoomed in, the linework looks sometimes a bit rushed and jittered, but zoomed out everything comes together to a wonderful harmonious whole
    Thanks Abu the line work is a bit jittery, I just can't draw much cleaners, my hands shake, so I've just learned to deal with it, it is frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    A WIP?

This is beautiful enough as-is that I want to print it, frame it, and stare at it forever!
    Forever is a long time , but appreciate the comment, thanks!

I didn't know that and i didn't meant to make you feel uncomfortable or frustrated... *try to get my foot out of my mouth* ... It's one of these moments i wish i had a better understanding of the english language, so what i want to say wouldn't sound so silly or risks putting the other of my feet in my mouth too... Be assured that i honestly admire your work and dedication, it is a seemingly never depleting well of inspiration for me (and many others here)!
    Map is not territory...

Hey Abu no worries, didn't take it at all unkind, or take any offense, it was a very insightful observation, and I took it as a compliment that even though my line work isn't the best I can still pull off a good quality map, we all have are strengths and weaknesses, learning to utilize them is a skill in itself. So please don't worry, and please don't stop your insightful critiques, I'm in this guild to get better, I can go to my mom to tell me I'm awesome, but I need you to tell me the truth

Good to hear that snodsy, i feel a bit relieved now And yes, i feel the same about honest critique / comments. Although it's sometimes a bit delicate, because everyone is putting so much energy and passion into it, i too prefer a honest critique well over a "mom-like" "well done my son!"
    Btw. i was just browsing through your (oh so many!) recent maps (once again) and found that in nearly all of them your linework is far from "jittery". Maybe that's why i mentioned it in this piece. Are you using "smoothing" functions in your program from time to time (in gimp it's "smooth stroke")? I use them fairly often btw.!
    Map is not territory...

Very nice map again Snodsy! I especially like the waters on this one.
    I have a couple of suggestions : the lighthouse seems a bit pixellated, notably close to the very sharp compass and frame... maybe adding a slight line around it? And maybe doing a small blur over those broken waves.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234