Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dragon's Backbone (finished)

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The Dragon's Backbone (finished)

Hi all,

I'd like to present the finished version of my Dragon's Backbone map. For those who haven't followed the WIP thread, the name derives from the massive mountain range in the middle of the map, which suspiciously resembles the back of a humongous dragon once you zoom out a bit further: you'll notice its back in the middle, its tail pointed towards the south, its head in the northwest, its claws below that and its wings outstretched throughout the entire eastern half of the subcontinent. Whether or not these are the remains of an actual dragon or just a happy coincidence will remain a mystery - especially for my readers, because everyone in the story has their own idea of course!

Anyhoo, the world in that zoomed-out map is where my fantasy cycle is set in, but I was still lacking a map focusing on the region where most of the action takes place: the lands around the Dragon's Backbone. And that's what I fixed by creating this one. The version below is the coloured one - I'm currently working on a greyscale version as well that can be printed in the book. Once that's finished I will publish it here too!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragonsbackbone_final.jpg 
Views:	3025 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	88326
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Fantastic piece and a joy to watch the creation of! Great work, Caenwyr!

Wonderful work Caenwyr! The splendid shading/coloring lets the fantastic linework shine even more. Btw., are these some twisted arabic letters on the frame there? Keep up the great work and have some well deserved rep!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

As promised in the WIP, here's your Rep. for this wonderful piece. I love it! Too bad i will not be able to read your novel.

Looking forward to more projects from your digital pen.

Edit: WHAT, i can't rep. you?!?? That's weird. Well, i will be back
    Last edited by Eilathen; 10-08-2016 at 07:53 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Splendid map, Caenwyr! I missed your WIP and have to take a look at it. A lot of brilliant ideas too : how you use the frame and the title banner to put some informations, very clever.

What an awesome map! I love the sparkling colour of blue and the forest transition is wonderfully done. Great job!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Gorgeous work, Caenwyr! Your shading and mountains are beautiful, and I love the border and general framing of the map. My only nitpick would be with some of the labelling for the larger areas (like Ilan). The letters seem so spread out as to be almost dissociated from each other. You have the borders clearly marked and you've used typography to designate a hierarchy, so I feel the region names don't need to stretch over the entire area. For what it's worth, I'd have shrunk the space between letters and made them a slightly different colour too (maybe a pale shade of red), just to boost them from the background a little more. However, this is really nitpicking over little details. The map is itself gorgeous! Have some rep.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Goed zo! Looks really amazing I'm looking forward to seeing the grayscale version.

Prachtig werk! Nice to see it finished and the map looks great. With every project your work is getting better and better! I'm sure the greyscale version will rock too!

-Dan

This is great! I love how clear and readable it is without sacrificing its artistic quality

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast