Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kingdom of Sayarin

Map Kingdom of Sayarin

So here is a practice map I just finished, I would like to share with you guys...
    This is me working on a style with a more handdrawn look to it, since I was pretty much relying on this semi-realistic/satellite look for my regional and world maps until now.
    Would love to hear some thoughts

--Matthias

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sayarin_Matthias_Rothenaicher.jpg 
Views:	417 
Size:	866.8 KB 
ID:	89224
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

Wow! This is top notch, the rivers might be nicer with a shadow side and not an outer glow on both, but you got a lot of really nice features going on, maybe some transparency as you move off shore with the waves. Like the cliffs and river taper. Great job!

Very nice! I love the way you did swamp lands, very different and eye catching. The mountains look great and so do your colors!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Damn. That's pretty great. Too bad I can't rep you again so soon after your awesome challenge map...

I agree with Domino, that's a pretty interesting way to do a swamp.

Awesome piece of work Mat! I love it. The only thing i would change are labels on the mountains. They are blending expecially with south mountains and it is kinda hard to read to me. But it is just a label.... the map is great.

snodsy - haha, I didn't even think about a shadow side for the rivers... I will try that in my next map, thank you!

Domino44 - Thank you very much!

Diamond - Thank you, Diamond! At the moment I am thinking maybe I should have given the swamps a color that is a bit darker and more to the green side of blue, so they look less like regular lakes... also a thing for future experiments.

Voolf - Thanks! I agree... labeling mountains is kind of hard, because they usually are such a high contrast area, which is always difficult for text. But I probably could have found a better way to do it... maybe by dissolving or blurring the mountains behind the text.
    Cartography by Matthias Rothenaicher. Portfolio: Website | DeviantArt

I like this map Mat-r and in particular the city names in their parchments. I agree with Snodsy for the river, waiting to see your next map with this improvement. All other elements are well drawn and particularly well colored. I think I can't rep you at the moment but it will certainly come for further work .

Love this! It's gorgeous.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Wonderful map!
    Those city names are very nice.

Beautiful map Matt! The colors are perfect, the parchments splendid, the mountains/dunes gorgeous. Very nice swamp too. If I have one nitpick, it would be about the forests : they have an original look, with good colors, but I would reverse a bit your effect : less flat at the bottom and more flat at the top.

I sadly can't rep you right now, but it's well deserved!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast