Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nov / Dec 2016 Lite Challenge:Abu's Flying Island of Asun

I like the parchment type background, but maybe one with less cracks. Even though it is realistic that the cracks would impact the island part of the map, visually, I don't like that it does.

Awesome work so far! I love the idea and the style .

About the parchment : what about keeping it but removing the holes in the map itself?
    Concerning the color, I think a dark night sky (with a few stars?) could be really cool and by contrast make the map even more appealing (plus, it would make the scif-fi style text even more legible).
    But those are just suggestions & thoughts, it's already great! I hope it's not scaring potential competitors .

Many thanks everyone for the feedback, i really appreciate the input and suggestions (the praise too ofc )!
    Regarding Thomas' wonderfully "torn and worn" parchment: Due to the specific shape and style of the parchment i think it would be only appropriate to go "hell bent for leather" with it, if i choose it. But since i really like the original colors and shading of the map, it looks better to me (atm ^^) to contrast it with a darker and less "fuzzy" background, so the colours and the shape can somehow "pop" more. Also i think it depicts the kind of a "dreamscape", Asun is drifting through, better this way...
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flying City of Asun WIP6.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	89671
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thomas' parchment is great, but I have to agree with you Abu, I like this background the best. A question though, is the grid permanent, or is it a layer that will go away when you are done? I find grids distracting.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Thomas' parchment is great, but I have to agree with you Abu, I like this background the best. A question though, is the grid permanent, or is it a layer that will go away when you are done? I find grids distracting.
    I find them distracting in Large Scaled Maps for Cities and Regional and Continental type Maps ( Unless Hexes, So Nostalgic to Me). however I find them a Must for Structure Maps (But I prefer them Under Walls and Other Symbols and not On Top Of everything, Only where You can Walk.)
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Guild Adept Facebook Connected jpstod's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I am quessing they Drew it on Graph Paper and then Scanned it...So I am guess It is there to stay
    The Wayward Traveler
    Guildmaster Galveston Island Adventurer's Guild
    http://jpstodwftexas.deviantart.com
    http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/p...?term=John+Pau
    [url]http://www.patreon.com/TheWaywardTraveler[url]

Quote Originally Posted by jpstod View Post
    I am quessing they Drew it on Graph Paper and then Scanned it...So I am guess It is there to stay
    You're right, i had to scan it on a rather old scanner, so the thin grid became a bit too prominent and has to stay for now. I could erase the grid around the island, but the grid in between the linework on the island is a different thing. Maybe i'll try to eliminate it with the threshold function in gimp. If anyone has a good idea how to accomplish it, without manually erasing every single line, let me know.
    Map is not territory...

Guild Novice

Oh dear. I was planning to join the Lite challenge, but I'm going to have to up my game.

Nice work man! And so fast! I like the colors, and I don't really mind the grid. Maybe you can just roll with it somehow, make it seem like it's intended?

Very nice work Abu Lafia.

The lines are too thick for my liking, but its a personal preference, good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Onomanatee View Post
    Oh dear. I was planning to join the Lite challenge, but I'm going to have to up my game.

Nice work man! And so fast! I like the colors, and I don't really mind the grid. Maybe you can just roll with it somehow, make it seem like it's intended?
    Thanks Onomanatee. I really hope to see you joining the fun soon! When i'm drawing with pen and paper i'm just faster (but it's also way more risky, due to no ctrl+z ), because earlier or later there is just nothing more to do. I think i drew like 1-2 hours on it. When working with gimp, i tend to redo everything a hundred times, or redo one thing and then need to redo everything else accordingly... So, i really enjoy it lately to draw traditionally and keep the tweaking and redoing for the digital coloring/labelling part in Gimp. It's a way to make sure there is this "unchangeable base" i can work with/on. It just helps me a bit with my somewhat messy and fickle(?) workflow.
    About the grid i already thought about something like making it look more "intended" (giving them a glow or coloring them different). Will have a look what i can do
    Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Very nice work Abu Lafia.

The lines are too thick for my liking, but its a personal preference, good job.
    Thank you Voolf! Yes, i like it if the lines can be seen well
    Map is not territory...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast