Thread: Black dotted line artifact after Incise Flow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Black dotted line artifact after Incise Flow

Hello, I'm getting a weird artifact that looks like a straight dotted-line (sometimes with distortion in-between) running vertically down the map.

Just for clarification, the order of instructions were: Next World >> Select All >> Fill Basins in Offset >> Incise Flow (8 / 1 / 0.5 / 1)

I did a little experimenting with the settings and was able to get a different, yet still unsatisfying result. Turns out I can reduce the size and depth of the little dots/divots, but they are still there.

I attached some potato-quality pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatthefrick.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	586.0 KB 
ID:	90030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatthefrickcloseup.png 
Views:	44 
Size:	963.7 KB 
ID:	90031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whatthefrick3.png 
Views:	31 
Size:	768.2 KB 
ID:	90032

Fractal Function:
    - Wilbur Ridged Multifractal
    - Auto-compute parms
    Primary:
    - highest pk = 30000
    - lowest dp = -30000
    - circ = 25000
    - seed = 2120781506
    - rough = 1.00
    - % sea = 70
    - land size = 1.09
    All others:

Thanks!

If that vertical line is at the boundary of +180 to -180 longitude, it falls into a known class of problems with FT. You generally want to avoid that boundary if possible because it's where the internal terrain representation wraps around. The programmer who wrote that code has had all manner of problems with that boundary over the years. He should probably take a class or something.

You can move the basic fractal continents by using Map>>World Settings and changing the North Pole Position longitude value on the Secondary page to something like 90. The idea is to avoid that +180 to -180 boundary if at all possible. Even on Earth, that boundary is mostly on the backside and barely intersects any land.

The exponent value on incise flow should rarely get above 1 because it won't do much of anything at all. http://www.fracterra.com/CGTutorial/index.html is a quick introduction which you may have seen.