Thread: Star Name Generator

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Interesting? what is the licensing on this and the usage of what it generates?
    The author of the original algorithm has released source code with no evident licensing terms: http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/text/index.htm Copyright on that code should be assumed (but copyright doesn't apply to algorithms).

I'm the author of the Python code used as the basis of the present application, and I don't mind what anyone does with it (indeed, it's just a reimplementation of a reimplementation of the original algorithm, with the addition of an option for a randomized seed, so I couldn't morally justify any claim of ownership even if I wanted to). My code has in turn been modified, and substantially added to, by Sagenlicht.

Sagenlicht has released his application under the Gnu General Public License (a free software license intended to keep open source open), and that basically means that if you take his code and include it in another program, you have to make that program's source code available if you distribute it.

"Elite" might be a trademark, so I suppose it's conceivable that someone could make Sagenlicht remove the word from his GUI if they really wanted to.

I'm not a lawyer.

Given any set of names, one could infer a grammar and write a unique random name generator which would generate a superset of those names, so it would likely be impossible for the owner of a generator to defend a claim of ownership of generated names anyway (though names could conceivably be individually trademarked).

I say be nice, give credit where it's due, and do what you want

P.S. Well done, Sagenlicht!
    Last edited by isomage; 12-06-2008 at 02:40 AM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/