Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Map Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling

Any final comments welcome, think I'll put this away now. Not too bad but still not what I was going for - not jungle"ly" enough. Time to move on to the Guild City Project and my first commission piece. Hope you enjoy.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JungleBook4.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	91233

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Lovely work on this snodsy! I think it will be a real inspiration for when I come to do my city map too.

This is really nice. This map has lots of character! Well done!

I think i agree about the jungle-ly part but then again i have no idea how to transport that better than you did... yeah, i know, not much help, sorry

You have some typos in your character's list. TIger. And i think the panther is named Baghera with a g (not sure about the h).
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Yeah, this is really a great accompany piece to the books. But yes, I feel I also must point out the multiple spelling errors. There are numerous lower and upper case mistakes, for mostly with your pronouns which should always be upper case. Some character names are also misspelled, such as "Mowgli" in the map itself, and "Shere Khan" and "Bagheera" both in legend and the map.
    Of course these are only slight detractions from an otherwise fine effort, so don't be disheartened.

Keep working at it!

Fantastic work once again snodsy! I think the depiction of the Jungle is really perfect for the map's scale. If i remember the book correctly (i haven't been to india to approve it myself) the Jungle is not so much depicted as one huge dense canopy, but (as the whole theme of the novel) "at the margins" where the savannah, and the realm of mankind and Shere Khan, begins. About your take on the jungle i love the most all the different layers of canopy in different colors and shape. I haven't seen this sort of depiction before and i think it gives a wonderful variety and depth to it. It's always wonderful to see how you handle all those elements in your local maps so creatively!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Great map, Snodsy! The "jungle feel" works pretty well, imho (notably with the diversity of elements and a sens of the different "forest layers"). Don't know much about the spelling of the names since I'm not a native english speaker.

This is lovely work, Snodsy. I'm always full of admiration for your linework, and how you draw cliffs/elevations on your maps, and this one is no exception. I'm not sure how you could best depict the 'jungle' aspect. I think of jungles as very hot and humid, and imagine bright, warm tones to sell the idea of lush greenery. Some of your greens are rather blue-ish and colder feeling (on my monitor, anyway) which doesn't feel quite right to me. I also think more ferns/palm-style trees might have helped to sell it too, though I see you added some in places. However, I think you did a great job overall and the map is very attractive. I love the silhouettes of the animals. That's a fab little touch!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

I love this piece. And I just thought of a way to depict it as a jungle a little more, but I am not sure if it would work. It needs vines crossing through the trees. Not a lot of them all on one tree but just maybe one or two. Anyway, you have moved on so maybe that is for the next time you do a jungle map.

I really love how your map gives the impression of layers of vegetation. Very jungly indeed !

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

A wonderful representation of the book's locales!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast