I've been keeping a campaign journal of my D&D game over at my site, and every week with the journal I've been posting maps of the dungeons and locations my players are exploring. This is the first week of the journal that hasn't featured a dungeon style adventure, so I decided to draw up a map of the small town that served as the basis for the early stages of the campaign. I haven't really drawn many maps of settlements, and I'm yet to post anything of my own to the Cartographers Guild, so this felt like the right time to take the plunge and share some of my work here.

I tned to work directly in pen rather than sketching with pencil first, so the first thing to share really is the initial scan.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tarnswood006.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	5.10 MB 
ID:	91236

Scanned at 600dpi and saved as a PDF (though this image is a 300dpi jpg just to make the file size smaller here). The next step is in Illustrator - which I'm going to go and do right now.

I'd love any feedback on this, though I'm planning to finish it up tonight to get it posted to my site along with the campaign log. That said, any advice I can get now will almost certainly help me next time. One of my biggest bugbears with these kinds of maps is getting my roads to look good, so any feedback around that would be great. It should also be obvious that, at this point in my development as a cartographer, I'm very much aping Mr Dyson's style. I do eventually want to branch out and start making my maps look like mine, but I'm working on a solid foundation first.

I'll be working on this tonight, so I image there will be another update along shortly.