Thread: Introduction: Oliver Berger

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Info Introduction: Oliver Berger

Hej hej, fellow cartographers!

I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Oliver (obviously) and I am turning 43 years old next week.
    As a long-time roleplayer (both pen&paper and LARP) I have always been fond of maps.

Recently I published some posts about my PANEC (Post Apocalyptic Near Earth Campaign) Scifi roleplaying campaign on http://panec.de to supplement the gaming experience for my players. Of course a scifi-game also needs maps and so I bought Campaign Cartographer 3+ with the Cosmographer plugin and finally wounded up here somehow.

Never actually used CC3+ so far as I am most of the time using Adobe products. I had high hopes of getting feedback from this illustrious bunch of mapping nerds and pros but so far I only accumulated hundreds of views on my posts but not a single comment. That's a tad disappointing to be honest. I so take the liberty of linking both posts here for your convenience and would be delighted to get some feedback!

City of Hells Gate in a post apocalyptic sci-fi campaign (Adobe InDesign)

PANEC Galaxy Map 40 LY (WIP)

If you want to know more about me as a person please visit OliverBerger.ME and get in touch via Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin! Thanks.

Hi Oliver, and welcome to the Guild. Sorry you haven't had any responses to your posts. Unfortunately I can't help with CC3+ but I know we have a few dedicated CC3+ users, so hopefully someone will try to answer your questions.

A friendly thread bump won't go wrong. Sometimes people just overlook things as they don't have the time at that particular moment. Don't be discouraged.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Default Thanks!

Hej ChickPea,

thank you for welcoming me. I am not actually discouraged (although it might sound like I am). It is rather a deepening sadness ... is my topic wrong? Do the maps suck? Didn't I pick the right tonality in my postings ...

You know it is always a bit difficult to start to talk to complete strangers. Maybe it is also this verification process and I need to have five posts to be (better) accepted by fellow forum users? I'll give my very best.

Thanks for hinting me at the pushing thing. I find this to invasive ATM so probably won't use it. I by no means want to brag about my work so it is either through persistence (posting lots and lots more), chance or by some dedicated searching for sci fi galactic maps and such that my threads will be noticed

Cheers, Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by oliverberger View Post
    Hej ChickPea,

thank you for welcoming me. I am not actually discouraged (although it might sound like I am). It is rather a deepening sadness ... is my topic wrong? Do the maps suck? Didn't I pick the right tonality in my postings ...

You know it is always a bit difficult to start to talk to complete strangers. Maybe it is also this verification process and I need to have five posts to be (better) accepted by fellow forum users? I'll give my very best.

Thanks for hinting me at the pushing thing. I find this to invasive ATM so probably won't use it. I by no means want to brag about my work so it is either through persistence (posting lots and lots more), chance or by some dedicated searching for sci fi galactic maps and such that my threads will be noticed

Cheers, Oliver
    I think a lot of people(me included) tend to reply more on maps of a style they like or when there are questions on a software product they are familiar with. For example, I really don't like topographic or most "real world satellite" style maps and so my input would almost always be somewhat negative and I (try, but don't always succeed) not to say anything unless I think it's really constructive, so I tend to ignore those topics.

I know I briefly looked at the map you referenced but I am more painterly and fantasy based maps and I use GIMP, so there was pretty much no input I could personally give due to stylistic and application differences. Honestly, while I am mostly certain you could make such a map in CC3, you might find Adobe Illustrator or the free equivalent(mostly) Inkscape might be a better choice in terms of letting you branch out. Also, from what I remember from a LONG time ago(around 10 years ago), CC has a very difficult learning curve due to the different thought processes required to achieve a given result WHEN COMPARED to the same result in more traditional painting applications. For the record, I am not trying to turn you off of CC3, just that you have to train your brain to follow a different series of steps. ie, somethings are not intuitive unless your brain already thinks in the same way as that took works.
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 03-02-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post

<SNIP>

Also, from what I remember from a LONG time ago(around 10 years ago), CC has a very difficult learning curve due to the different thought processes required to achieve a given result WHEN COMPARED to the same result in more traditional painting applications. For the record, I am not trying to turn you off of CC3, just that you have to train your brain to follow a different series of steps. ie, somethings are not intuitive unless your brain already thinks in the same way as that took works.
    Again you are absolutely correct in your assumption. Thanks for sharing. CC3 has a very steep learning curve indeed and it is more or less completely unintuitive to me. That's why I am still sticking around with what I know (also use GIMP and Inkscape from time to time).

I had so many tutorial videos and stuff but it never really "clicked" CC3-wise, unfortunately. If someone has his or her best link to share I'd very much appreciate this.

Hi Oliver, erst einmal herzlich Willkommen hier in der Cartographers' Guild!
    Ich kann gut verstehen, dass es etwas ernüchternd ist, wenn man auf Feedback hofft und nur sieht, dass der eigene thread zwar angeschaut wird, aber niemand einen Kommentar schreibt. Glaub mir, ich kenne das selbst auch nur allzu gut.
    Meiner Erfahrung nach ist die "Aufmerksamkeitsökonomie" hier im Forum aber einfach zu komplex (für mich zumindest^^) um direkt daraus Rückschlüsse auf das eigene Werk zu ziehen . Sei zumindest versichert, dass es sicherlich nicht am Tonfall oder an der Qualität deiner Arbeiten liegt (Sinn dieser Community ist es ja gerade auch Anfängern mit Rat und Tat behilflich zu sein, obwohl ich deine Arbeiten alles andere als "anfängerhaft" finde ).
    Bei den meißten Foristen hier ist das Interesse an Sci-fi Karten leider deutlich geringer als an allem was irgendwie mit Fantasy zu tun hat, von daher kann ich dir nur zu Geduld raten. Wie jfrazierjr sagte, können natürlich auch unterschiedliche Vorlieben was den Stil betrifft ausschlaggebend sein.
    Ich persönlich gehöre z.B. zu der "schweigenden Masse" die deine PANEC Galaxie Karte mit interesse angeschaut haben (die andere habe ich schlichtweg nicht gesehen bisher), aber, wie ChickPea oben schrieb, in eben jenem Moment nicht die Zeit hatte einen angemessenen Kommentar zu schreiben.
    Ich glaube es ist auch immer Sinnvoll, klarer den "work in progress" Charakter in einem solchen Thread hervorzuheben. Man sieht zwar sofort, dass du schon eine Menge Arbeit in die Karte investiert hast, aber es wird nicht unmittelbar ersichtlich in welchem "Stadium" sich die Karte derzeit befindet, d.h. was noch fehlt, bzw. was du noch hinzufügen / verändern möchtest und wo die (möglichen) Probleme auf dem Weg dahin liegen (könnten). Je mehr Informationen man darüber hat, was jemand schon gemacht hat und was er/sie noch vorhat, desto besser und hilfreicher (und auch wahrscheinlicher ) kann dann das Feedback ausfallen. Ich glaube, dass dies umso wichtiger bei "Sternenkarten" und ähnlichem ist, da das SciFi Karten-Genre sowohl in inhaltlicher als auch in gestalterischer Hinsicht weitaus offener ist und es weniger klare Standards und Normen gibt, an denen man sich orientieren könnte.

Ist jetzt vielleicht etwas viel auf einen Schlag, aber ich hoffe ich konnte dir damit ein paar nützliche Hinweise mit auf den Weg geben. Mehr zur Karte selbst schreib ich dann mal lieber drüben im wip thread...

Grüße,
    AL

-- Sorry for "ze german" everyone! XD --
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Hej Abu Lafia,

Danke für die Willkommens-Grüße. Ich weiß dies zu schätzen.

Interessant finde ich die Beobachtung (die vermutlich den Tatsachen entspricht), dass die meisten hier auf Fantasy stehen und nicht auf SciFi. Ich mag Fantasy ebenfalls und habe einige Jahrzehnte auch solche Kampagnen gespielt. Die letzten 10-15 Jahre aber sind eher SciFi-lastig geworden

Bzgl Work in Progress. Ich hätte gedacht, dass die Verwendung des entsprechenden Icons und die Bezeichnung WIP im Titel ausreichend sein sollte.

Tatsächlich ging es mir bei der Galaxis-Karte ja mehr um Feedback zur Legende, nicht zur Karte direkt. Darauf könnte ich natürlich noch sehr viel mehr zeigen, will dies aber im Moment nicht tun, da zum aktuellen Datum der Kampagne (2.283 AD oder 127 PE, siehe PANEC Timeline) eben noch nicht wirklich viel bekannt ist ^^

Danke auch für das Lob bzgl. der Qualität. Ich bin zwar nicht neu in Foren und auch nicht neu im Umgang mit Grafiktools, meine Skills reichen aber um Lichtjahre nicht an die Qualität heran, die ich hier zum Teil sehen darf.

Beste Grüße,
    Oliver

Ich habe auch noch nie diese "entweder oder" Haltung bezüglich Fantasy / Sci-Fi verstanden und für mich ist es letztlich immer eher die Frage, ob eine interessante Geschichte erzählt wird.
    Bezüglich WIP meinte ich auch nicht, dass der thread nicht ausreichend gekennzeichnet wäre, eher, dass z.B. ein Hinweis in wie:
    Tatsächlich ging es mir bei der Galaxis-Karte ja mehr um Feedback zur Legende, nicht zur Karte direkt. Darauf könnte ich natürlich noch sehr viel mehr zeigen, will dies aber im Moment nicht tun, da zum aktuellen Datum der Kampagne (2.283 AD oder 127 PE, siehe PANEC Timeline) eben noch nicht wirklich viel bekannt ist ^^
    immer Hilfreich ist, da man sofort bescheid weiß, worum es dir im Moment geht.

Grüße aus Hannover an die Waterkant
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter