Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vasco Coast

Default Vasco Coast

I have been working on this side project of mine whenever i got some spare time. Originally it started as totally different map in my miscellaneous thread. After some suggestions regarding scale of the trees i decided to change the map completaly. The aim was to create more regional close up map. I didnt wanted to shrink the forests, so i deleted mountains and redesign whole area.

My second goal from the start was to create B&W map with shadows made from strokes (no airbrush used). That creates specific style. I am satified with the result. The only thing i cound not resolve was how to deal with the white areas in the middle of the forests.

So here you go, Vasco Coast. I consider this one finished, but maybe in the future i will come back to colour it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alben_CG.jpeg 
Views:	402 
Size:	553.2 KB 
ID:	93151

Great drawing style, I love the idea of the signposts indicating toponyms.
    However I think buildings edges are too straight, maybe you should redrew them to have a more lifelike feel.

Nice map here. i am not sure what you mean by the whole shadows comment though.

For the forest while areas, some amount of very light strock/opacity stipling or hatching would help fill in that area I would think. Very, very fine lines I think...

The slight perspective of the compass is just amazing looking.

Ok... so my biggest issue with the map, the coast lines. For some reason, the entire coastline, including inland being cliffs is just throwing my head into some convulsions. There is a slight high variation due to perspective in the foreground near the lighthouse(assuming that's what it is), but there are no beaches and the rest of the cliffs seem to have to little height differences and that's just messing with my brain. This is especially given what I assume to be the relative sizes of the objects in which case each part of the cliff is roughly 5-10 feet tall which seems a bit odd scale wise.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice map Voolf (: the terrain texturing is great and you've also nailed this forest style! My only critique would be that the linework for the town is very 'straight'. If you would do it more like the Witch Cabin I think it would much better. Great map overall!

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBlake View Post
    Great drawing style, I love the idea of the signposts indicating toponyms.
    However I think buildings edges are too straight, maybe you should redrew them to have a more lifelike feel.
    Hmm, somehow the straight lines dosent bother me so much here. I think i will leave it like that. Thanks for the comment though.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Nice map here. i am not sure what you mean by the whole shadows comment though.

For the forest while areas, some amount of very light strock/opacity stipling or hatching would help fill in that area I would think. Very, very fine lines I think...

The slight perspective of the compass is just amazing looking.

Ok... so my biggest issue with the map, the coast lines. For some reason, the entire coastline, including inland being cliffs is just throwing my head into some convulsions. There is a slight high variation due to perspective in the foreground near the lighthouse(assuming that's what it is), but there are no beaches and the rest of the cliffs seem to have to little height differences and that's just messing with my brain. This is especially given what I assume to be the relative sizes of the objects in which case each part of the cliff is roughly 5-10 feet tall which seems a bit odd scale wise.
    What i ment is that usually for shadows i use large brush with low opacity and just paint the whole area where the shadow should be. Here i created inner shadows from strokes and make the lines thicker on the right side. Strokes are easily visible for example in compass or lighthouse.

I tried hatching on the forests, but i didnt like the effect :/ Maybe i should try different kinds.

As for the cliffs. I wanted to elevate the lighthouse coast, hence taller cliffs there. I didnt measure it, but i guess it would be like 5 feet in most places and 10 in lighthouse area. When i drew it it seemed ok to my eye... still does

Thanks for the input, mistakes duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos
    Very nice map Voolf (: the terrain texturing is great and you've also nailed this forest style! My only critique would be that the linework for the town is very 'straight'. If you would do it more like the Witch Cabin I think it would much better. Great map overall!
    Oh but the Witch Cabin also has straight strokes . I know its the curved roof. Hmm... understand make building look like falling apart ruins next time .

Glad you like it. Thanks
    Last edited by Voolf; 03-02-2017 at 09:39 AM.

This is another lovely new style, Voolf, and well worth developing

In future renditions it might help to actually fill out the forests with tree tops at the same density as the edges, but that's only how I would have done it... if I was as good at drawing as you are!

I agree with jfrazierjr, in that the coastline is the worst part of the map (if such a great little map could even be said to have a 'worst part'). To develop the style maybe consider punctuating the coastline with a couple of much higher cliffs, and also couple of sandy bays where the sand just runs right up into the grass of the land?

Those are just a couple of ideas, though. It is, as I have already said, a great little map

A wonderful little piece! Yes, the there could be a bit more variation of the cliffs along the coast, and yes, the line-work for the houses seems inordinately straight. Those issues aside this is a very attractive little piece with strong-line-work. I particularly like the style of your grass and hills. That compass rose is very cool as well. Very nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

I agree, the buildings edges don't bother me that much, and I actually like the coastline, it's really a wonderful map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is another lovely new style, Voolf, and well worth developing

In future renditions it might help to actually fill out the forests with tree tops at the same density as the edges, but that's only how I would have done it... if I was as good at drawing as you are!

I agree with jfrazierjr, in that the coastline is the worst part of the map (if such a great little map could even be said to have a 'worst part'). To develop the style maybe consider punctuating the coastline with a couple of much higher cliffs, and also couple of sandy bays where the sand just runs right up into the grass of the land?

Those are just a couple of ideas, though. It is, as I have already said, a great little map
    The same density as the edge? I don't think i understand that. Wouldn't that just force me to fill all the area with trees?
    As for the coasts, i actually tried make a beach or lower elevation, but could not do it right. As you have noticed, i have to work on this style. I dont know how to depict everything well yet. Thanks for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    A wonderful little piece! Yes, the there could be a bit more variation of the cliffs along the coast, and yes, the line-work for the houses seems inordinately straight. Those issues aside this is a very attractive little piece with strong-line-work. I particularly like the style of your grass and hills. That compass rose is very cool as well. Very nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBlake View Post
    I agree, the buildings edges don't bother me that much, and I actually like the coastline, it's really a wonderful map.
    I will try to work on builldings too next time.

A lovely map voolf! Your linework is as stunning as always and those trees and hills look indeed spectacular. Great job!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast