Wow. So many comments, so little time. I am encouraged by the responses.

First off, thanks for the suggestions. If nothing else, I have learned that I can bounce ideas off folks in this forum.

I had in mind to generate large scale starship sections for capital scale ships (or space stations or starbases). I already have smaller sections that I found here at the Holocron. What I was envisioning is something on a larger scale (a full medical bay with all the bells and whistles). Then the GM can remove what he doesn't want. The overall layout for each section would allow sections to be placed side-by-side or end-to-end with doorways aligning. Something like this:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Modular Map Layout.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	8817
Where the brown squares are where doorways would be located.

It sounds like some of you are suggesting an idea I had rolling around to make smaller "overlays" for the maps so that the GM could customize a map quickly. I thought I was just being silly (trying to make more work for myself), but given the discussion on this thread I will have to give it some serious consideration. These overlays would allow the GM to remove parts of the map that he didn't want or move parts of the map around ("the Bacta ward is over here now"). Each overlay would be sized to fit into one of the six parts of the larger section. [Divide the larger section between the doorways to give six (roughly) square parts.] The size restriction is to keep everything modular - keep the maps where they can be placed end-to-end or side-by-side. Other than the size restriction, these overlays would function almost exactly like Gameprinter's colony tiles. Perhaps I can work in a way to use the colony tiles as overlays.

I will continue with the larger sections as I originally planned, but I need to think more about how to do the smaller overlays. As always, I'm open to thoughts and suggestions.