Thread: [Award Winner] Antique-style maps in Photoshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

5. Click on the “Background” layer and create a new layer, rename it to “white” and fill it with white. Click on the “ocean” layer and add a layer style of Gradient overlay…use a very light teal-blue to a very light pink. My colors are: blue = BEDCE6 (rgb 190, 220, 230) and pink = F5D7D7 (rgb 245, 215, 215). Drop the opacity of the gradient to 50% ((pic antique 8 )). Copy the “white” layer and rename it to “noise”. Next, move it to the top of the layers palette. Filter > Noise > Add noise = 50% and make sure that monochromatic is unchecked (this gives colors). Set the layer’s mode to overlay. Create a new layer and rename it to “aging”. Change the foreground color to something tan with a bit of red in it…I used 84745E (rgb 132, 116, 94). Now change the layer’s opacity to 15%. Filter > Texture > Texturizer = use canvas as the texture, set the scaling at 50%, the relief at 5, and the light is at the top (this puts the emphasis on the horizontal lines whereas top left gives us something more 3d than what we want) ((pic antique 9)).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 8.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	375.6 KB 
ID:	8800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	antique 9.jpg 
Views:	863 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	8801  
    Last edited by Ascension; 12-31-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps